Version 2.3.1 (March 20, 2013)
- Importing Schematics from EDIF (OrCAD).
- Long-line cross cursor (X key).
- Existing features of 2.3 were polished.
Version 2.3 (October 19, 2012)
- Online DRC - dynamically checks design rules while you add objects, route traces or edit anything in layout. Static DRC check was improved and optimized.
- 3D VRML 2.0 Export of PC board. Allows you to export solid body of your board with models to mechanical CAD.
- Custom Non-Signal layers.
- Arranging PCB components by hierarchical blocks. Copying routing/placement between similar blocks.
- Automatic showing/hiding ratlines for copper pours depending on pouring areas and traces ("Hide Net Ratlines" option has been removed).
- Pour priority for copper pour.
- Separate "Place Ratline" mode, no more ratlines in "default" and "edit traces" modes.
- "Manual Route" mode hot-key (~).
- Configuring and saving file names for Gerber export by layers (name and extension for each layer).
- Exporting dimensions into Gerber and DXF.
- Checking pin/wire superimposing without connection in Schematic ERC.
- Saving connections without wires while copying/pasting parts in Schematic.
- Moving objects between pages in Schematic.
- Rearranging sheets in Schematic.
- Saving "open/save dialog" initial folders by file type (globally for all programs).
- Blocking file by the program while editing it. Overwriting by second/network appearance is prohibited.
- Backward compatibility of binary file formats starting from this version (it can open files of further versions).
- Windows 8 compatibility.
- Ordering engine has been added (see File/Order PCB).
- Online check for new versions and DipTrace news.
- Library update: 8000+ new components, euro symbols, new patterns.
Version 2.2 (September 7, 2011)
- 3D Preview in PCB Layout (.wrl and .3ds models are supported).
- 2580 3D models in .wrl format (separate download).
- Redesigned pattern and component libraries (full conformity).
- Strict Via Styles (changing via style changes all vias of the style).
- Net Classes (with extended rules). Class-to-Class rules.
- Improved DRC (more rules, separate rules by layers and net-classes, class-to-class rules).
Show errors by layers or all. Show current clearance/size and necessary.
- All necessary dialog boxes and menus are redesigned to use net classes and via styles.
- Main menu redesigned (Layers item removed, sub-items moved to layers panel and Route menu).
- Inserting layers, moving layers up/down.
Layer panel improved (buttons to add layer, layer setup and display mode; sub-menu; set current layer by double click)
Layer Setup dialog box improved (insert layer, move up, move down).
- Improved manual routing:
3 standard modes + custom mode;
7 possible segment configurations;
fixed degree step for free/curve modes;
highlight only routed net option;
current via style option;
all options and hot-keys are listed on properties panel;
different trace width by layers (from net class rules).
- Improved trace editing:
selecting several segments at once and changing properties;
adding nodes with hot-key (no mouse click or selecting item is necessary);
changing all from properties panel;
more hot-keys (all listed in sub-menu and properties panel).
- Slot holes.
- Identical component/net naming in hierarchical schematic and PCB.
- Easy connecting/disconnecting wires from nets by names, automatic changing text object with net name by the nearest wire.
- Making wires is similar to PCB manual routing (automatic or 2 segment configurations).
- NC Drill Import, combining it with Gerber import to get pads with holes.
- Correct NC drill export for blind holes (by layer pairs), automatic identifying existing layer pairs and Export All button.
- PADS ASCII import in component and pattern editor, PADS ASCII schematic import is almost done, but closed yet.
- Properties/Layers panel auto-switch when select tool or objects, more properties by objects.
- Objects highlight option separate from displaying on Objects tab.
- RefDes Renumbering (left-right,top-bottom).
- Jumper wire layer selection (View/Jumper Wires). Jumpers in the silk layer are automatically removed from vias.
- The state line is displayed on the Properties panel.
- Renaming part of the net (related wires only) option in Schematic.
- Global Nets in Hierarchy (single net for all levels, net-ports and connecting by name can be used in hierarchy).
- Update PCB from Hierarchical Schematic by components (no similar RefDes inside hierarchy needed).
- Making polygons, board outline and copper pours is similar to each other.
- More drill symbols (characters added). Comment table for drill symbols.
- Back annotation of net and net classes.
- Saving/Loading rules in PCB Layout (net classes, via styles, layers, DRC rules). Loading rules in Schematic.
- Mask and Paste settings for pad in Pattern Editor.
- Displaying only wires of selected component while moving it. The feature is turned on by default in PCB Layout.
- Converting static vias into dynamic (parts of traces) and back.
- New components are placed outside the board outline while renew PCB from Schematic.
- Speed optimizations and UI improvements.
Version 2.1 (February 10, 2010)
- New high-class shape-based auto-router.
- Dimensions in PCB Layout and Pattern Editor (horizontal, vertical, free, radius, pointer).
- Saving all settings with project file.
- Placing board cutout, copper objects and route obstacles in Pattern Editor.
- Changing shape line width in pattern editor.
- Placing polylines and polygons in pattern editor.
- Converting polygons to pads and back in pattern editor.
- DXF import was improved in pattern editor ("all layers" and "fill closed areas").
- TrueType for pin names/pin numbers/net names in Schematic (option).
- Removing similar holes in drill files.
- Searching and displaying holes by size.
- Rectangle with rounded corners board outline in board points dialog box.
- View/Objects tab on the design manager panel. "Copper Pours" item has been added.
- Redesigned Print Preview in PCB Layout.
- Resizable pin manager and attached pattern dialog boxes in component editor.
- Quick buttons on component properties panel in component editor.
- Changing font of pin names in component editor or schematic.
- Pin Properties dialog box in Schematic.
- Changing grid size with "Ctrl+" and "Ctrl-". "+" and "-" are used for scale in all programs. "R" or Space for rotating in all programs.
- "IC - 4 sides" component type in component editor.
- Only x position of horizontal pins is changed when you change width, and y position of vertical pins if change height of IC. Other properties are not changed.
- Rectangle and Zig-Zag pattern types in pattern editor.
- Lock properties button in component and pattern editors.
- Displaying library of component and "Place into Current Position" button in Search window of Component and Pattern editors.
- Block Delete (select several components and delete) and Block Insert (right click/Insert Components from library) components/patterns in Component and Pattern Editors.
- Library verification features in Component and Pattern Editors.
- Finding component in active/opened library (all programs).
- Sorting pins in pin manager by name, number and position.
- Repositioning pins by name or number in component editor.
- Group Rotate and Flip features in Component Editor (pin submenu; Shift+R, Shift+F hot-keys).
- Internal connections are red and can be removed by repeated creation - in Component Editor/Attached Pattern
- Displaying pad numbers in Pattern Editor, Pcb and Component Editor.
- Default Net Width check while updating pcb from schematic, saving net properties from pcb (route mode, hidden connections, etc.).
- Data and document files were moved to AppData and MyDocuments. Does not write anything to Program Files (Vista/Win 7 compatibility).
- P-CAD ASCII, PADS Import/Export Improved
- P-CAD ASCII, Eagle Script libraries import improved
- OrCAD MIN Interchange Import/Export in PCB Layout
- Origin can be placed by object key-points.
- "Change Symbol Type" feature in Component Editor (automatic making 2sided/4sided symbol from existing one).
- Making busses by pin names in Component Editor.
- "No thermal for vias" and separate thermal settings for SMD in copper pour properties (no need to use pad/via custom thermal settings).
- Printer calibration in PCB Layout.
- Exclude some objects from panelizing, saving panelizing settings with layout file.
- Dimensions are displayed for pattern types in pattern editor.
- It is possible to change type properties for rotated pattern in Pattern Editor.
- RefDes numeration for hierarchy changed (U1_1, U1_2, etc.).
- Additional check if attached patterns are correct for multipart components while exporting net-list or saving file.
- ArcMode is turned off automatically after placing arc in board outline.
- Placing pattern markings over pads/vias/traces.
- Graphics speed in PCB Layout, Component and Pattern Editors was optimized.
- Recovery options (number of steps between auto-savings and enabling/disabling recovery).
- Text type (RefDes, Name. Value) in Pattern Editor.
- Copper pour fill counts internal copper pours.
- UI polishing.
- 16000+ new components, existing libraries were redesigned by new standards.
Version 2.0 (February 17, 2009)
- Properties panel in PCB Layout and Schematic
- Display/Hide layers in PCB Layout
- Design Manager
- Hierarchical Schematic
- Custom color for the net
- Direction arrows for wires in Schematic
- Thermal support in DXF Edge function
- Arc traces in PCB Layout
- Text in pattern editor
- Unroute line command in PCB Layout
- Make connection from trace end while routing (D3d and OpenGL modes).
- Lock net structure in PCB Layout
- Manual routing improved
- Copy/paste works between instances
- Internal connections in component pattern.
- Panelizing of different PCBs on the same panel.
- P-CAD ASCII Import/Export in Schematic and PCB Layout.
- PADS ASCII 2005 Import/Export in PCB Layout.
- 8000+ new components
Version 1.50 (March 6, 2008)
- DirectX/OpenGL support (faster drawing on large Schematics/PCBs)
- Vector font
- Copper pour island removal (internal, unconnected).
- "Snap copper pour to board outline" option.
- "Black and White only" print option.
- Selecting/Deselecting objects by type, layer, etc.
- Displaying hidden wires in schematic.
- Connect shape to net in PCB Layout (DRC, copper pours, etc.)
- Copy/Paste shortcuts in component/pattern editor component properties panel.
- Change incorrect polygonal pads automatically.
- Traces box in DXF export dialog box.
- "Fill closed areas" option for DXF import (+using embedded polygons as cutouts).
- Shift to make shapes orthogonally.
- Converting cutout shapes to board outline option.
- Bulk connection for pads/vias in PCB Layout.
- Correct trace/connection alignment for center-free polygonal pads
- Forbid jumpers under components option for auto-router.
- Hide table borders option.
- Redesigned grid view for small scale.
- "Different grid step for Y" option.
- Highlight optimization (reducing CPU time).
- Row number and total quantity in BOM.
- Forcing correct extension while saving files.
- "Do not display hint" option.
- Scaling schematic and titles to page while printing.
- Multiple edge passes option in DXF Export.
- Changing width of components/patterns panel.
- "Disable automatic wire routing" option in Schematic.
- 9000+ new components.
Version 1.40 (May 23, 2007)
- Component placement by list, arrangement in PCB Layout
- Spice options in Schematic and component editor, exporting net-list for LT Spice.
- File formats extending (floating point values are more accurate, etc)
- Library path in component/pattern properties, automatic update
- Custom colors for printing
- Creating traces and wires from empty area
- Route/Unroute traces for selected components
- Create list of additional fields in PCB Layout or Schematic
- Unlimited number of grids
- Assembly options
- Snap components to grid by origin
- SMD pads on both sides for the same component
- Pattern can have Mask, Paste, Assy shapes on both sides
- Top side is invisible while editing inner layer
- Changing pattern name in schematic without attaching pattern (for net-lists).
- Changing default line width for shapes in PCB and Schematic
- Selecting traces separately in PCB Layout
- Selecting of visible objects only for box selection
- Menu (Warning) when trying to change net structure
- Displaying net names above the wires
- Export All option in Gerber dialog box
- DRC - control min ring size and max drill size
- Automatic Text flip for Bottom side option
- Import Schematics and PCBs from Eagle
- String Grids can be edited directly (additional fields, pin numbers, etc).
- Export Drill files for through and blind holes separately
- OrCad TAP drill files export
- Updating PCB from related schematic in one click (+ key shortcut)
Version 1.30 (October 25, 2006)
- Customizing colors (black background, etc.)
- Layer changing in copper pour sub-menu.
- Zoom extents/center tool for print preview.
- Gerber import.
- Electra/Specctra Integration (DSN export, SES import). Electra is available from DipTrace web-site.
- Netlist Export in Schematic (Tango, PADS, Accel, Allegro, P-CAD, etc.)
- Netlist Import in PCB.
- Unlimited user defined fields for components and patterns (texts or links).
- Exporting Schematic to DXF.
- Titles were added to DXF export in PCB.
- DipTrace ASCII format (import/export in all programs).
- Component rotation by a desired (non-90) angle.
- Moving selected objects using arrow keys.
- Double click to open object properties.
- Using mouse wheel for zooming and scrolling project.
- Lock/Unlock objects.
- Enter to OK / Esc to Cancel in dialog boxes.
- Separate "Via" object in PCB layout (Static Via).
- Editing Paste/Mask layers separately (shapes, custom settings for pads).
- Shift for orthogonal moving, esc to cancel moving.
- Both component and marking highlight while move mouse over component or marking in F10 mode.
- Keyboard shortcuts to change layers.
- "Traces" box in Gerber export.
- Changing board outline width (Line Width dialog box).
- Board cutouts (shape property).
- Trace length measurement.
- Using "Ctrl+1..0" to change layers in PCB Layout.
- Up/Down keys to switch between pins in pin manager (Component Editor).
- Blind/buried pads/static vias.
- Many minor improvements.
Version 1.23 (April 4, 2006)
- Custom thermals for pads.
- Sorting in Component and Pattern Editors.
- "Zoom Extents" tool in Schematic and PCB.
- Separate scale and position for Schematic pages.
- Checking net connectivity in PCB Layout.
- "Save to File" button in schematic comparison dialog box.
- "Paste sub-menu" by right click in design area.
- Text vectorization for gerber was improved.
- Unlimited zoom in Gerber and N/C drill preview.
- Separate selection of each wire of net or bus in Schematic.
- Moving vias and "add node" features were improved.
- Renaming and Deleting nets in connection manager.
- Pop-Up menu when trying to merge nets in PCB.
- Returning origin to default position feature.
- Editing wire nodes in Schematic was improved.
- Printing negative in PCB Layout.
- "R" or "Space" to rotate part text while moving (F10).
- "Apply to" options for pad properties dialog box.
- Selection of overlapping objects by repeated clicks.
- Import P-CAD PDIF in Schematic and PCB.
- Import Eagle Script and P-CAD ASCII library formats.
Mar 20, 2013 — version 2.3.1
Oct 19, 2012 — version 2.3
Aug 2, 2012 — version 2.2.9 b
Sep 7, 2011 — version 2.2
Mar 12, 2011 — version 2.1.9 b
DipTrace breaks the traditional mold for schematic capture and layout CAD software by being super-intuitive and simple to learn, while still providing all the capabilities of design packages costing 10 times as much.
Director of Engineering
Alcorn McBride, Inc.
more user opinions...