DipTrace on Apple Silicon vs Parallels

Report bugs here
dostr63

DipTrace on Apple Silicon vs Parallels

#1 Post by dostr63 » 07 Jun 2023, 02:20

tl;dr - Use ***Parallels*** - and get rid of the lagginess.

So - using the DipTrace MacOS download - vs - using Parallels with the DipTrace MicroSoft download

(not so much a bug report - as my experience of it)

1. DipTrace MacOS version

The DipTrace MacOS version runs via Wine (which is bundled inside the DipTrace download).

It's now running fine - but is dependent on Wine remaining in-step with MacOS updates.
(i.e. you may, as I did, find that a MacOS update causes Wine, and hence DipTrace, to stop working)

So - using the above today (with a slightly under 400 pin layout) - and it's laggy.
Zooms, swapping active layer, rotating components - all sufficiently laggy to be difficult to work with (is it about to respond to that command or not?).

And I'm guessing all of this is down to the efficiency of Wine running on Apple silicon.

2. DipTrace MicroSoft version + Parallels

Parallels is commercial software allowing a windows virtual machine to run on Mac's (including Apple silicon M1/M2 etc).

I already had the impression that Parallels was reliable and fast software - but running DipTrace on it is more confirmation that Parallels is *excellent*.

DipTrace is running without any noticeable lagginess.

Until Wine (or possibly some other freeware virtual machine like VirtualBox) catches up - I recommend using Parallels to run DipTrace.