replacing multipart components

For general questions regarding the software and for all questions that do not fit in any of the threads above.
stevemilkins@msn.com

replacing multipart components

#1 Post by stevemilkins@msn.com » 18 Apr 2023, 05:59

During project design in schematic I decided I needed to change a quad op-amp from a SMT to a through the hole version.

From reading other posts, to go via the replace part process seemed awkward for multipart components.

I think I have a simple solution.

It seems that if the property of the component is changed eg. from LM324AD (smt) to LM324N (TH) then updating it from the library will apply the pattern to the component. You only need to right click on one part of the component to apply the change to all the parts i.e all 4 amps and the power supply part.

This may be obvious and people do this all time but hopefully posting this will help to people like me who struggle to find a simple method to achieve this goal.

Lendaco

Re: replacing multipart components

#2 Post by Lendaco » 01 Aug 2023, 16:51

I had the same problem, the component's properties were changed but it didn't apply the pattern to any components. I don't know what the exact problem is pizza tower?

stevemilkins@msn.com

Re: replacing multipart components

#3 Post by stevemilkins@msn.com » 02 Aug 2023, 00:35

Hi Lendaco
I have just tested it again (using Diptrace 4.3.0.5 but it worked on older versions). The method seems to work fine for me.

Here are the steps just so we are doing the same thing. These are parts that are in my user component library, it should throw an error if a part doesn't exist in the current library. Hope you can get it working.
Steve

1 Create new schematic
2. Add TLO74D ( SMD part)
3. Click on any part of the TL074D
4. Open properties dialog
5. Edit name field to TL074CN (TTH part)
6. In library field “Update component”
7 Close properties dialog
8. Note design manager has changed to TL074CN
9. Right click any part of the opamp
10. Attached pattern should be the TTH version
11. If you want you can then do the same to replace the TTH TL074CN with a different quad opamp eg a SMD
LM348D as its pins and parts match. If you try a completely spurious part eg, a Transistor the excess part/pins are removed.