3d Visualization hangs

Report bugs here
jrlitzenberger

3d Visualization hangs

#1 Post by jrlitzenberger » 17 Apr 2023, 12:40

I have not had any problems with the 3d visualization tool until recently. Now, It likes to hang when searching for 3d models. I have yet to come up with a repeatable remedy. Sometimes it works just fine and other times it won't work at all. Thoughts?

Alex
Technical Support

Re: 3d Visualization hangs

#2 Post by Alex » 20 Apr 2023, 21:28

It could be a problem with path to one or more 3D models. For example, if paths to 3D models are on network or removable drive that are not available at the time of running 3D preview.
Also a problem is possible with loading one or more custom 3D models. In that case, please send custom 3D models for verification.

RDesg

Re: 3d Visualization hangs

#3 Post by RDesg » 08 May 2023, 03:37

It could be a problem with path to one or more 3D models. For example, if paths to 3D models are on network or removable drive that are not available at the time of running 3D preview.
I have also experienced this bug and can confirm that it can occur even when all models have been changed to automatic ones (IPC-7351 or component outline) with no external STEP/IGES/etc., as well as when all models are already fully selected and there is (in theory) nothing to search. I posted a comment in the other thread on this issue with a more detailed description, but this is happening pretty regularly on several different boards and doesn't seem to be linked to storage accessibility or corrupt model files. It can also be temporarily worked around by simply copy-pasting the entire board (complete with selected 3D models) to a new document.

Even if there was some sort of file access issue, it would be significantly easier to troubleshoot if the application resolved the failed I/O operation and either proceeded without the missing model or displayed an error message, rather than hanging on the "Search 3D Models" dialog box.