Multiple pads on drawn pattern appear on same net.

Making your own components and patterns, organizing and using libraries.
SteveW

Multiple pads on drawn pattern appear on same net.

#1 Post by SteveW » 24 Aug 2022, 09:35

I drew a terminal block pattern because I could not find a correct one in the library. Simple 3 terminal screw type wire to board block. It looked fine in the pattern editor but when brought into a PCB drawing, it looked fine until right clicked for final placement. Then a dotted line connects the 3 pads. And when an attempt to draw manual traces is done, all the pads are connected to the same net. How do I break them apart and have them as separate pads NOT connected to any net until I assign one?

Tomg
Expert

Re: Multiple pads on drawn pattern appear on same net.

#2 Post by Tomg » 24 Aug 2022, 10:45

It sounds like internal connections between the pads may have been created in the Component Editor. If so, you will have to...
1) Bring up the component in the Component Editor and open the Attached Pattern dialog window.
2) Delete the red connecting lines (see example "A" below). This can be accomplished by left-dragging a new line over an existing red line and choosing the disconnect option in the pop-up window that will appear after letting go of the mouse button. Repeat this process for any remaining red connecting lines. (The end result should look something like example "B" below.)
3) Click on "OK" to accept the changes, then resave the component library.
4) Update the component in the Schematic Editor (right-click on the component and choose "Update from Library" in the context menu), then resave the schematic.
5) In the PCB Layout editor run the Renew Layout from Schematic (By Components...) tool. This should cause the connector's internal connections to disappear.
tb1.png
tb1.png (23.41 KiB) Viewed 1463 times
Tom

SteveW

Re: Multiple pads on drawn pattern appear on same net.

#3 Post by SteveW » 25 Aug 2022, 10:01

Hi Tom, thank you for your response. I see I somehow got this posted into the news and events folder. I intended to be in the PCB forum. Sigh.
I figured out what happened...... I think. When I drew my pattern, I placed the first pad, then simple copied and pasted it 2 or 3 more times. Each time I changed the coordinates to match where I wanted the new pad placed. But I didn't think to check the pad numbers. I "thought" Diptrace was smart enough to automatically assign numbers as pads were placed. Apparently it is not, and it turned out all 3 or 4 pads in my new drawing were labeled the same, as 1@. So since they all had the same number, the internal connection must have been established. Simply renumbering them made the dashed line disappear and left the to be attached to separate nets. All is good.