Connectors on other side of the board

Making PCB Layouts, Manual routing, Auto-routing, Copper pouring, Updating from Schematic, Manufacturing Output
fastbike

Connectors on other side of the board

#1 Post by fastbike » 30 Apr 2023, 19:29

I have a pin 5 polarised connector to bring power and Canbus signals to a board I'm designing. The part number is Phoenix Contact 1755765
The board layout is becoming quite dense, so I'm looking to place this connector on the other side of the board.

As it is a through hole part, the orientation has been reversed - is there an easy way of flipping the pcb layout or do I need to design a mirror image part that can be placed on the reverse side of the board.
Ardent hobbyist

fastbike

Re: Connectors on other side of the board

#2 Post by fastbike » 30 Apr 2023, 19:48

Or am I looking at an "x-ray" view of the bottom side when I switch, in which case the through hole comp will have been automatically mirrored ?
Ardent hobbyist

Tomg
Expert

#3 Post by Tomg » 01 May 2023, 14:17

The component is automatically flipped when placed on the bottom side. Yes, it is as though you have X-ray vision.

To see the bottom of the PCB displayed with "real-world" orientation in the Design Area, go to the main menu and choose View > Mirror. (A hotkey to toggle this mode can also be assigned.) Note the view status displayed on the right side of the Hint Area below the Design Area. This will let you know when the view is normal or mirrored...
n2m.png
n2m.png (4.44 KiB) Viewed 2958 times
The 3D Preview tool can provide an alternative to using the mirror function (without any editing capabilites, of course). In 3D mode, simply flip the PCB around to look at the bottom side. This will present a "real-world" view.
Tom

fastbike

#4 Post by fastbike » 03 May 2023, 08:10

Thx, that mirror function is handy
Ardent hobbyist

fastbike

#5 Post by fastbike » 16 Jul 2023, 07:48

The previous two responses are spam with hidden links to irrelevant sites, some type of SEO posts I guess.
Do we have moderators for this Board ? - if so I suggest removing those posts.
Ardent hobbyist

scottadamswf

#6 Post by scottadamswf » 25 Oct 2023, 03:20

You're correct. PCB (Printed Circuit Board) layout software often provides various tools and options for manipulating and arranging components and traces on the board. Flipping, rotating, or mirroring components and traces can be essential for achieving the desired layout and ensuring that the connections are properly established. Here are some common operations you can perform in PCB layout software:

Component Placement: You can place components (such as ICs, resistors, capacitors) on the PCB board and then flip, rotate, or mirror them as needed to optimize their positioning.

Trace Routing: You can route traces (copper connections) on different layers of the PCB and adjust their orientation and path to avoid interference and achieve efficient connections.

Layer Management: PCBs can have multiple layers, and you can flip or mirror components and traces between these layers to create complex, multilayered designs.

Silk Screen and Assembly: The silk screen layer includes component outlines, reference designators, and other information. You can adjust the orientation of these elements for clarity.

Checking for Errors: Flipping and mirroring can be useful for ensuring that there are no design rule violations or short circuits on the board.

Remember that PCB layout software can vary, and the specific steps for flipping or mirroring components and traces may differ between programs. It's essential to refer to the documentation of the software you're using for precise instructions.

If you have any more questions or need assistance with PCB design or related topics, please feel free to ask.
Check out this insightful article on Lean Product Development. It's a fantastic resource for optimizing efficiency and reducing waste while enhancing quality.