Identify a broken Zener diode?

For general questions regarding the software and for all questions that do not fit in any of the threads above.
Wyattlin

Identify a broken Zener diode?

#1 Post by Wyattlin » 09 Oct 2021, 02:55

Hi, all
Something about Zener diode. I have found that the door lock switch of my '98 Hyundai Accent has been damaged by water (sealing issues). I used Wurth Contact OL to remove rust but one of the components of the board has got broken while I was trying to remove the rests of the product with a piece of paper. I believe I can carry out the soldering work but I cannot identify the broken component. My searches (according to Testing and Distinguishing Zener Diodes Overview) lead me to believe it is a zener diode, but what kind? There are no markings on it.
(My conclusion from search source: https://www.kynix.com/Blog/How-to-Test- ... iodes.html)

I have thought about asking the local shop to give me a selection of the most common types and go the trial and error way, but I am afraid I could fry other thing... So, could someone guess, by the pictures of the board, what kind of component I need to have all the doors of my car closed in one move like in the old good times?

Thank you in advance.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Be happy and nice to the world :D

Tomg
Expert

Re: Identify a broken Zener diode?

#2 Post by Tomg » 09 Oct 2021, 09:36

No way to know what the zener is without a schematic and/or parts list. There appear to be other concerns such as missing copper on at least one rotary switch pad (remember to check the mating wipers for corrosion), a corroded connector contact (remember to check the mating connector pins for corrosion), a possible bridged gap (hard to tell from the photo), questionable looking electrolytics and perhaps a few transmigration problems. I know you would like to save some money by replacing just the zener, but replacing the entire board is probably your best long-term solution. Are new boards still available for purchase?
concerns.png
If you are planning to make a career out of saving PCB assemblies think about purchasing a decently-sized ultrasonic cleaner. They can be expensive, but are fairly effective in removing environmental contaminants without inflicting excessive trauma to the board.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tom