Using the same bus on different sheets doesn't work!

Drawing Schematics, Hierarchical Design, BOM, Exporting net-lists, etc.
MickPF

Using the same bus on different sheets doesn't work!

#1 Post by MickPF » 09 Jan 2021, 02:19

Hello,

Because not all components fit on one sheet, I use several sheets. I have to use the same bus on several sheets. If I create a bus connector on the first sheet and try to assign the same name to a new bus connector on another sheet, Diptrace refuses!
Am I making a mistake there?
Can anybody help me?

Thanks in Advance,
Michael
Nobody is perfect

Alex
Technical Support

Re: Using the same bus on different sheets doesn't work!

#2 Post by Alex » 11 Jan 2021, 03:31

If busses (on different or the same sheets) are connected to bus connectors with the same name, they should become the same bus. If not, please send your schematic to the forum or DipTrace support.

MickPF

#3 Post by MickPF » 12 Jan 2021, 05:50

Hello Alex,

Your answer made me think and try it out. This is how I found the cause of the problem: First, the bus connectors (on all desired sheets) must be created with the same name, then the bus with its signals must be laid out on one sheet before the bus and its signals can be used on other sheets.
Such a subsequent change to the circuit diagram is tedious and extremely error-prone.

Thanks anyway for the hint,
Michael
Nobody is perfect

Tomg
Expert

#4 Post by Tomg » 12 Jan 2021, 09:34

If it helps, here is what I have observed about DipTrace bus behavior...
* Laying the bus connector over the end of the new bus will not make a connection.
* Dragging the entirety of the new bus by its center point such that the end of the bus touches the bus connector (only horizontal movement is possible when grabbing its center point) will not make a connection.
* Moving the end of the new bus (by dragging one of its end points) to the bus connector will make a connection.
* Bridging the gap between the new bus and the bus connector using the "Place Bus" tool will make a connection.
* Once connected to a bus connector, the new bus will assume the name of any bus that was already connected to a different, but identically-named, bus connector.
* Bus connector names are independent of bus names.
Tom

Alex
Technical Support

#5 Post by Alex » 13 Jan 2021, 03:33

If bus is connected to but connector then it has green dot. Otherwise bus connector is blue.
If there are two bus connectors with the same name (on the same or different sheets) then bus connector names are outlined in rectangle.
Please check these rules to make sure you connected busses on different sheets.