Free moving component characters

Making PCB Layouts, Manual routing, Auto-routing, Copper pouring, Updating from Schematic, Manufacturing Output
carlmart

Free moving component characters

#1 Post by carlmart » 13 Jun 2020, 13:55

Is there a way I can freely move a component's characters: particularly part number and part type?

The options available in Markings many times do not fit or adjust to the available space or crowding.

Are you allowed to change the character's size? Sometimes you need to.

I had those options even on my primitive DOS pcb design program, so I can't imagine DipTrace not allowing that.

farley

Re: Free moving component characters

#2 Post by farley » 13 Jun 2020, 18:34

Is there a way I can freely move a component's characters: particularly part number and part type?
In both the PCB Layout and Schematic editors pressing F10 allows movement of component markings. Pressing the 'R' key while holding down the left mouse button will rotate the selected marking.
However, you mention "part number and part type." Typically, neither of those items are included on the PCB or Schematic so I may have misunderstood your question.
Are you allowed to change the character's size? Sometimes you need to.
If you're using version 4.0.0.2, character size may be adjusted in the component properties dialog under the 'Markings' tab:
component_properties_markings.jpg
Right click on the component and select 'Properties...' at the bottom of the pop up context menu.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

farley

#3 Post by farley » 14 Jun 2020, 07:17

Typically, neither of those items are included on the PCB or Schematic
To clarify, the manufacturer's part numbers for active devices and semiconductors are nearly always shown on the schematic. I should have limited that statement to the PCB layout.

carlmart

#4 Post by carlmart » 14 Jun 2020, 07:33

However, you mention "part number and part type." Typically, neither of those items are included on the PCB or Schematic so I may have misunderstood your question.
No, you didn't misunderstand it.

Those names are included on the Top Silk layer. Of course they do not go on the pcb.

The F10 + R key work fine, and I could position the names wherever I want it. Pity I seem not to be able to reduce the size of the characters.
Last edited by carlmart on 14 Jun 2020, 08:31, edited 1 time in total.

carlmart

#5 Post by carlmart » 14 Jun 2020, 08:31

Not to open another thread, perhaps you can tell me where I see the dimensions of the part I intend to select or select?

carlmart

#6 Post by carlmart » 15 Jun 2020, 10:26

Let's go on with the text character control we may have in DipTrace.

How do you control the character size, font type, color and other variations in the text you can place on the pcb, this time both in the pcb itself, to show in copper, as well as the silk layer.