rectangular cut out in pattern editor

Making your own components and patterns, organizing and using libraries.
Qrper

rectangular cut out in pattern editor

#1 Post by Qrper » 29 Apr 2020, 03:59

Gang...

perhaps I'm simply not seeing this.

Problem. I want to creates a footprint that has square cutouts instead of round. In other words the pads need to be rectangular and not round. Is there a way to do this?
What I've done in the past was to simply make the holes large enough to fit the rectangular pins. It's an ugly fix.

thanks

mike

Tomg
Expert

Re: rectangular cut out in pattern editor

#2 Post by Tomg » 29 Apr 2020, 04:53

In DipTrace v3 launch the Pattern Editor, open the supplied "Con Power" library and look at the first pattern which should be named "4840-2211". It uses oval pads with oval holes to accommodate rectangular pins. Is this what you are trying to accomplish?
op.png
op.png (19.29 KiB) Viewed 324 times
Tom

Qrper

#3 Post by Qrper » 29 Apr 2020, 07:29

Kinda.... I can do that to the pads, but I can't do that to the mounting holes
the part I am working on has rectangular mounting posts that go into a matching rectangular slot in the pcb

I've been doing pads, but when I want to change one, they all change.

Tomg
Expert

#4 Post by Tomg » 29 Apr 2020, 07:54

I've been doing pads, but when I want to change one, they all change.
For individual (local) pad settings...
1) Right-click on the pad you want to change and select "Properties..." in the pop-up menu to bring up the pad properties dialog window.
2) In the pad properties dialog window click on the [Type/Dimensions] tab and deselect (uncheck) the [ ]Use Pattern's Pad Properties option to access the local settings.

If you need a uniquely-shaped hole that is not a pad I suppose you could try drawing the hole on the Board Cutout layer. Keep in mind that the cutting tools the PCB house has on hand will dictate the minimum size of the milled hole and the inside corner radius...
mill.png
mill.png (88.68 KiB) Viewed 313 times
Tom