Add set of additional fields to all components in a library?

Making your own components and patterns, organizing and using libraries.
Exality

Re: Add set of additional fields to all components in a library?

#11 Post by Exality » 02 Mar 2020, 08:58

I haven't done anything with DipTrace for about a year, but I'm back at it now and this problem is still nagging me. When I find a component from a DipTrace library I need, I generally copy it to a working library but then it doesn't have the dozen or so additional fields I've added to all my components. I have to manually add each additional field and hope I don't misspell one.

This is really miserable. I seem to remember there was some operation I could do to an entire library, though, which would ensure that each component had all the additional fields present in the library. Doing that to my working library would get all my additional fields into the newly-copied DipTrace component in one easy step.

But for the life of me I can't find this operation. Is it real, or just my wishful thinking?
Gerrit

KevinA

#12 Post by KevinA » 02 Mar 2020, 15:25

Open Component Editor and select a component with all the correct, additional fields then select Component/Default Additional Fields you should see all your fields then add them to everything in that current library BUT you can build a component template and copy that template to any new library you create then open that library, select the component template and Component/Default Additional Fields you should see all your fields then add them to everything in that current library, no typing, no errors.

Exality

#13 Post by Exality » 03 Mar 2020, 05:19

Thanks, Kevin. Component / Default Additional Fields / Add To All -- that's the operation I'm thinking of. But it isn't working now! When I do this on a component with all the additional fields I want, the list comes up blank. No field names or values.

(I have used a component template too, and it's nice when you're starting from scratch. It doesn't work so well when you start with a DipTrace library component though. Copying everything, including the pattern from God-knows-where, into the template copy is as difficult as manually entering the additional fields.)

So why am I not seeing the additional fields when I do Component / Default Additional Fields on a component with all the fields I want?
Gerrit

KevinA

#14 Post by KevinA » 03 Mar 2020, 15:15

Open Component Editor, select the component with the additional fields you what, while viewing that component click on Additional Fields to view those extra fields. Is that component in the library that you're trying to update? if not copy the component to the library your trying to update, select that library, click on that component, view that components Additional Fields and then Component/Default Additional Fields/Add to All

Exality

#15 Post by Exality » 04 Mar 2020, 05:18

Yup, that's exactly what I'm doing. I just re-did it, following your steps exactly, and still no go. When I do Component / Default Additional Fields on a component with the additional fields, no field names show up in the dialog with the Add to All button on it and nothing happens when I click Add to All.

This process used to work for me, I remember doing it now, and it's a decent way to get additional fields into components copied from the DipTrace library. But it isn't working now. I've tried over several days, exiting and restarting the Component Editor. Software -- it's great except when it isn't.
Gerrit