Can aSolder mask be edited / trimmed away?

"How-to" questions from new engineers and designers. Please ask and respond here.
clivecad

Can aSolder mask be edited / trimmed away?

#1 Post by clivecad » 14 May 2018, 12:35

Hi.
When designing a PCB recently, I added a solder mask to the bottom layer, using the circles / squares to surround component pads.
Everything seemed fine, until I reviewed the finished board, and noticed that I had misaligned some mask "holes". :shock: :lol: :lol:
However, clicking any point on the mask highlights the entire mask.
Is there a method of pruning / editing a finished or partially finished mask?
Thanks,
Clive.

Tomg
Expert

Re: Can aSolder mask be edited / trimmed away?

#2 Post by Tomg » 14 May 2018, 15:29

You can create custom mask shapes, but it seems like you may not be aware that masks are automatically created. This is a common trap for new DipTrace users because automatic masks are not displayed in the PCB Layout editor's Design Area; only custom masks are displayed there. See this thread for a primer on how masks are handled by DipTrace - viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11858&p=23255. However, if you are already aware of all of this then I'm sorry for the diversion. In that case, please feel free to ask more questions about custom masks.
Tom

clivecad

Re: Can aSolder mask be edited / trimmed away?

#3 Post by clivecad » 20 May 2018, 22:19

Update:
I found what I was doing wrong.
Initially, when laying shapes for the mask, I mistakenly thought the pale cyan overlay was the actual shellac mask, so laid squares, circles and polygons to cover the entire board, leaving only the pads 'clear'. :shock:
After viewing the 3D rendering, I deleted the mask then used solid circles / squares to cover only the pads - success. yippee!!
Ie - I found that the user deletes the solder-resist, rather than apply it to the board. :D