Pattern views track side or top view?

"How-to" questions from new engineers and designers. Please ask and respond here.
clivecad

Pattern views track side or top view?

#1 Post by clivecad » 06 May 2018, 09:28

Hi.
New user of DipTrace so my first of many potential questions..
While designing the schematic of a circuit, I called up the patterns for two BJT transistors, BC557B and ZTX869.
The ZTX869 doesn't exist in the Zetex library, so I plan to use an equivalent TO-92 pinout for the schematic/PCB.
However, comparing Motorola's BC557B with a downloaded data-sheet, it appears the pinout is reversed, if viewed copper track-side (lead view).
The datasheets show BC557B PNP as EBC from pin view, flat face down.
The ZTX869 NPN E-line datasheet shows CBE using same view.
So for patterns, what view am I looking at?
Any help appreciated.

Tomg
Expert

Re: Pattern views track side or top view?

#2 Post by Tomg » 07 May 2018, 07:48

In the Pattern Editor you typically want to view and build your pattern on the component or "Top" side...
PE3D2.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tom

clivecad

#3 Post by clivecad » 14 May 2018, 12:18

Thank you.
Since posting the question, I experimented and read up more - to view the underside of the PCB in normal, real-world view as if photographing it:
[1]: Select the entire board with Ctrl-A
[2]: Change views to Bottom or Bottom Assy (or whatever you plan to edit, if any).
[3]: View/MIRROR the board to see it in "Real" view.
[4]: There is also the option to mirror (flip) the top screen, so that markings are reversed.
Once I mirrored the board view, the patterns matched the data sheets.
Great program!!

Tomg
Expert

#4 Post by Tomg » 15 May 2018, 10:11

You will find when using View > Mirror, selecting objects is unnecessary. Just change the Layer Display Mode to "Current Only" (hotkey "D" will cycle through different display modes) and then choose which layer to display (hotkeys "T", "B" and "1" through "9" will cycle through different layers). Be careful not to flip selected patterns using Edit > Flip Group as this will render them unusable in the real world. (According to the developers, this particular capability of the flip tool will be disabled in the next revision.) If you want to place a component on the other side of the board, right-click on it (not its pads) and select "Change Side" in the pop-up menu.

p.s. Be careful when using View > Mirror. There is no annunciator to warn you that the view may be mirrored.
Tom