Diagonal wires in schematic capture

Drawing Schematics, Hierarchical Design, BOM, Exporting net-lists, etc.
rlee0001

Diagonal wires in schematic capture

#1 Post by rlee0001 » 09 Oct 2015, 21:13

Hi. I'm new to Diptrace, and I'm trying to create the schematic for a very simple NAND gate flip flop circuit (two gates arranged vertically, with each output connected to one of the other gate's inputs). If you don't know what I mean, you can search Google Images for this circuit ("NAND Gate Flip Flop") and find plenty of examples. By convention (and for clarity), the two wires in this circuit are drawn diagonally, crossing like the lines in the letter X.

I know I'm probably missing the obvious, but I've been playing around for over an hour now, and I can't figure out how to draw a diagonal line in schematic capture at all. I've tried automatic and manual route mode. I've tried clicking the "current segment" option while in manual mode to change the segment type. But nothing lets me draw the diagonal wire segment usually found in schematics for this circuit.

As a work around, I've temporarily placed the gates so that the first is above and to the left of the second and so that the wires can be drawn in a "+" configuration without using diagonal segments, and without have more than three segments each. This works, and satisfies most of my rules for good schematic layout, but I'm really disappointed that this isn't the conventional layout for this circuit and that I can't figure out how to do this. It also wastes a bunch of space in the schematic having these gates arranges like this.

Any help would be hugely appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Tomg
Expert

Re: Diagonal wires in schematic capture

#2 Post by Tomg » 12 Oct 2015, 12:28

As far as I know, the Schematic Editor only allows right angles. Several users, including myself, have been asking for a "free angle" type of wire placement feature for a while now. Is this what you mean?...
http://www.diptrace.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=10575
Tom

Alex
Technical Support

#3 Post by Alex » 13 Oct 2015, 01:57

Diagonal wires in Schematic are not possible yet. We remember the request but have not implemented yet.

Molly

#4 Post by Molly » 03 Nov 2015, 22:38

While adding a wire press the F3 key and change the Draw Mode from the default of "route" to something that allows diagonal or any angle wires. I think this is what you are looking for, but if not, supply more details and you might get further help.

techie66

#5 Post by techie66 » 01 Jul 2017, 12:24

"Diagonal wires in Schematic are not possible yet. We remember the request but have not implemented yet."

Nice to know you remember it. But quite frankly, that's not enough. You got to IMPLEMENT it!

Besides, there are a considerable number of very basic functions and usability issues that sorely need attention in DipTrace. Nice to know you support such advanced features as high speed trace routing. In reality this sort of thing is needed by a rather small group of users, while every single user suffers poor usability issues. This is just one of them.

Please, please, fix these things. Many of them do not re quire a lot of resource investment and will return their investment many fold by your customers talking positively about DipTrace.

Willi

#6 Post by Willi » 17 Jul 2017, 06:17

Hello everybody,
Arrive today on this forum, i'm new with Diptrace, my first question is: "45° wires and also buses on the schematic not available?"
Really necessary for schematic with Transistors or logical gates
+1 :)

v-680

#7 Post by v-680 » 04 Jan 2018, 07:13

up

v-680

#8 Post by v-680 » 04 Jan 2018, 07:27

Tomg wrote: 12 Oct 2015, 12:28 As far as I know, the Schematic Editor only allows right angles. Several users, including myself, have been asking for a "free angle" type of wire placement feature for a while now. Is this what you mean?...
http://www.diptrace.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=10575
I agree, it's essential!
:shock:

Alex
Technical Support

#9 Post by Alex » 09 Jan 2018, 20:40

Diagonal wires in Schematic is still in our feature list. We are working on different features (interactive routing in PCB Layout for example) therefore some other features like diagonal wires have not implemented yet.

Moris

#10 Post by Moris » 22 Sep 2019, 23:37

crossing wires with diptrace is a work around (step down grid, make crossing, step up grid).
And for me this does not look professional/standard.
Attachments
dt-crossing-wire.JPG
dt-crossing-wire.JPG (30.72 KiB) Viewed 1710 times