Changing pad and drill sizes

"How-to" questions from new engineers and designers. Please ask and respond here.
Weedj123

Changing pad and drill sizes

#1 Post by Weedj123 » 11 Sep 2013, 02:57

I needed to change my pad and drill sizes on the pcb to accommodate hand soldering.
When I renewed design from schematic all the sizes changed back to the previous. I tried all 3 ways "by component, refdesg,& related schematic.
How do I keep my new pad and drill sizes and still be able to run renew design from schematic?

Alex
Technical Support

Re: Changing pad and drill sizes

#2 Post by Alex » 21 Oct 2013, 02:56

Do not renew design from schematic after you manually changed pad and drill size. Or return to Schematic, re-attach to components modified patterns with changed pads and save updated schematic file.

TANK

#3 Post by TANK » 12 Apr 2014, 17:55

This is an old thread, but I came across the same problem.
I enjoy using Diptrace but I find this to be an annoying "feature".
I also want to be able to I keep my new pad and drill sizes and still be able to run renew design from schematic. I had no problem doing that in Protel99 .
You should consider making it an option.
What your saying is I have to create a new pattern, and update schematic file, doesn't sound very efficient.

ellox

#4 Post by ellox » 27 Apr 2014, 21:39

Well, changing pads sizes and hole sizes to default after renewing schematic would be acceptable for me only if smaller holes (drill marks) could be achieved by one - two clicks for all pads globally.
This can be done by enabling only one property changes. What I mean is for example, when you select all elements, then you right click them, "Pad Properties...", after that you change only hole diameter with "Apply to all pads" option checked, when clicking ok, everything is changed: pad type, width, height etc even you did want to change only one property. A good idea would be to add option to choose on every property, e.g. "Do not change" or "Leave unchanged".

YellowFlakes

#5 Post by YellowFlakes » 08 Feb 2016, 22:51

Does it still get rid of you drill sizes in the latest version of DipTrace? I haven't upgraded yet but I will if it's possible to save drill sizes etc after making a new design.
Last edited by YellowFlakes on 25 Nov 2023, 04:40, edited 9 times in total.

Tomg
Expert

#6 Post by Tomg » 10 Feb 2016, 04:43

TANK wrote:"...keep my new pad and drill sizes and still be able to run renew design from schematic..."
Before using the Renew Layout from Schematic tool, lock the objects that you do not want to change (right-click and choose Lock Selected in the pop-up menu). Now, when the Renew Layout from Schematic tool is used, it will ask you if you want to update the locked components. Answer No...
Attachments
lock.gif
lock.gif (10.54 KiB) Viewed 756 times
Tom

Techno Tronix

#7 Post by Techno Tronix » 29 Jun 2016, 02:50

How can I keep my pad and drill size same and still able to run renew design from schematic?

PansyPuckett

#8 Post by PansyPuckett » 14 Jun 2017, 07:31

TANK wrote:This is an old thread, but I came across the same problem.
I enjoy using Diptrace but I find this to be an annoying "feature".
I also want to be able to I keep my new pad and drill phenqwiki sizes and still be able to run renew design from schematic. I had no problem doing that in Protel99 .
You should consider making it an option.
What your saying is I have to create a new pattern, and update schematic file, doesn't sound very efficient.
I will if it's possible to save drill sizes etc after making a new design. it still get rid of you drill sizes in the latest version of DipTrace?