Diptrace not remembering registration details

Report bugs here
jg1983

Diptrace not remembering registration details

#1 Post by jg1983 » 21 Mar 2014, 11:23

Hello,

I recently upgraded from the freeware version by entering my user name and registration key. However, I have to re-enter my registration details every time I re-open Diptrace PCB. I have tried first running Diptrace PCB as administrator and then entering my registration details, but it still forgets them when I close and re-open the programme.

Please could you advise on how I can make Diptrace remember my registration details.

I am using Diptrace 2.3.5.2 BETA on Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. I have internet access turned on when I enter registration details.

Many thanks.

Jonathan

Alex
Technical Support

Re: Diptrace not remembering registration details

#2 Post by Alex » 24 Mar 2014, 10:10

Thank you for the report.

We investigated the issue and found the reason of the problem. After unistalling version 2.3 old license file remains in system. While registering the beta version new license file appears in different folder. When you start DipTrace software finds old license file first and it is freeware version.

Installing versions 2.3 and the beta is one way to solve the problem. If you don't want to have two versions on the same machine, you can remove old license file manually and software will find new license file. The file you should delete is C:\Users\All Users\DipTrace\Data\lc.dat

jg1983

#3 Post by jg1983 » 24 Mar 2014, 15:09

Thanks a lot - that works. Deleting the lc.dat file from the old installation causes Diptrace to load with the correct license.

Thanks for your help.

Jonathan.

alanambrose

#4 Post by alanambrose » 17 May 2014, 06:24

Hmm, I have this problem also with the same beta version and bit Win7 Pro 64. I don't think I had an earlier version installed but I do have \DipTrace\models3d from the standard version. I can't see any other lc.dat files on my C: drive at all. In fact if I rename the existing lc.dat to 'old lc.dat', start PCB layout and enter my registration details to get a new lc.dat - the old and new files compare the same. Maybe that's OK, but in any case the registration doesn't stick - in fact if I look at Help / Register without quitting the program, the details are blank. The upgraded allowances _do_ appear OK in / File / Design Information though when I enter the reg details. Do the extra copper layers / design rules etc appear automatically on registration / when the program is next started / when a new board is created / or do they need to be added manually?

Regards, Alan

Alex
Technical Support

#5 Post by Alex » 19 May 2014, 08:49

Alan,
Do you have admin rights on your machine? They are necessary to add records to registry about new license. Also some antiviruses may block registry changes therefore you can disable antivirus temporary to register software.

nzola78

#6 Post by nzola78 » 28 Jun 2019, 23:27

I have same problem
dptrace 3.x not save license key ( windows 10 )
how can I solve ?
thank you

checooh

#7 Post by checooh » 09 Jan 2020, 15:15

I also have the same issue. I run DipTrace 3.3.1.3 on Linux using Wine. When I start DipTrace and enter the registration details, it accepts them and in the "About..." dialog I see that the license type has changed. But on restarting DipTrace, I see that the license type is reset back to "Freeware"/"Trial" (I tried both editions). I have also tried this in Win10, where this issue also presents, and in Win7, where it doesn't happen.

After some investigation, I have managed to find the cause: in my case, the license user name is in Russian, but the system locale on all of the three OSs I tried is English. On entering the registration details, the DipTrace saves them into the l3c.dat file correctly (using CP-1251 encoding), bun in Linux and Win10 it can't read them back on restart. Seems that there are some OS-based differences in how the OS/DipTrace handles the strings depending on system locale. I guess, it has something to do with the ANSI/Unicode conversions.
Actually, there is one more issue that I think is closely related - in Schematic I can't name the sheet using the Cyrillic letters. In the name edit dialog the letters are OK, but on the actual sheet "tab", that is on the bottom of the screen, I see only small rectangles instead of letters.

In my case, setting the locale to Russian for the DipTrace helped to resolve both of these issues. I have added

Code: Select all

LANG='ru_RU.UTF-8'

in the beginning of the run command for the Schematic and PCB Layout links in the KDE Application Launcher, and now everything is OK.

Unfortunately, this solution is Linux-only, and for Win10 you have to find the way to tweak the system locale on your own. Or you can switch to Linux :roll:

Alex
Technical Support

#8 Post by Alex » 10 Jan 2020, 10:22

On Windows, you can change language for non-unicode programs: Windows -> Settings -> Time & Language -> Date, time & regional formatting -> Additional date, time & regional settings -> Change date, time or number formats -> Administrative -> Language for non-Unicode programs -> Russian (Russia)
Unfortunately it doesn't work for Linux and Mac. Please contact to sales at diptrace dot com, provide user name on English and we will send new registration key.