3D Visualization stuck in loop while loading components

Report bugs here
electric

3D Visualization stuck in loop while loading components

#1 Post by electric » 12 Jul 2021, 10:40

Latest version 4.1.3.1 installed on Windows 10 with latest updates.
Any board design, even a blank outline with one resistor would get stuck on loading components in 3D Visualization.
Stuck in a loop, continuously trying to load models.
If I clear Display Components during this loop, then loop stops and blank PCB is shown correctly with pads, etc.
If I select Display Components and Redraw, it gets stuck again, but without a loop of progress bars.

Alex
Technical Support

Re: 3D Visualization stuck in loop while loading components

#2 Post by Alex » 13 Jul 2021, 00:55

It may happen that PCB Layout seeks for 3D models and if 3D model files are located on network drive or cloud it takes very long time to download, compare and find appropriate model.
Please open "Tools -> 3D Preview -> Pattern and Models Search" and check 3D model folders. You can delete inactive folders and try 3D visualization again.

electric

#3 Post by electric » 13 Jul 2021, 07:04

As it happened even with one resistor test board, I looked at the default model for that resistor and it was 0603.wrl and it was stuck in preview mode.
Trying any other .wrl model, all get stuck loading. Step models work OK.
So, the issue seems to be only with .wrl models, but they worked fine in previous version, all I did was upgrade Diptrace.
BTW, all my files are local SSD drive, no cloud or even LAN.

electric

#4 Post by electric » 13 Jul 2021, 07:24

I went back to my actual work project with over 30 component models, which was broken since last Diptrace version (STEP export empty).
I found one model which was still at .wrl, while all the rest were moved to .step.
After switching this last model to .step everything worked, including export.
So, the root cause was use of old .wrl models. We have switched everything to .step, but one was missed.
Should I just delete _VRML folder from C:\Program Files\DipTrace\models3d ???
Thanks

Alex
Technical Support

#5 Post by Alex » 14 Jul 2021, 01:04

We found that loading VRML models doesn't work in the latest build of 64-bit version of DipTrace. We will fix it in the next build.
We replace VRML to STEP models in standard libraries but the software will continue supporting VRML models. So you can can keep VRML files if you need them.

Grebu

#6 Post by Grebu » 03 Oct 2021, 00:19

I think I have the same or similar error when using 3D visualization. It continously loops and meanwhile the program grows in the workspace memory. It does this at least until the RAM is full. Then the program keeps vanishing and appearing in the task manager. So it becomes hard to actually stop the program. I did not wait to see what further errors are produced if I let the program run on.

So there is definitely another error in this leading to horrible memory allocation. Sounds like a serious bug to me.

It would be nice if loading .vrml could be fixed for 3D preview. Having to change all custom parts that use the older model is really annoying.

Alex
Technical Support

#7 Post by Alex » 03 Oct 2021, 21:52

We fixed the problem with VRML files in source codes. The fix will be included in the next build coming soon. If you cannot wait, you can install 32-bit version instead 64-bit one.

B_Akos

#8 Post by B_Akos » 06 Oct 2021, 23:48

I tried to look up which components are still wrl by simply searching the file. I discovered in the .dip file are stored quite a few .wrl-s of components used in a previous version of the board. I suggest a "garbage collector" when saving the file so data of nonexistent parts are not included any more.
I ended up filming the progress bar when rendering, and watching it in slo-mo I made to read the .wrl parts.

GuitarPhil

#9 Post by GuitarPhil » 17 Oct 2021, 02:23

I have the same problem. Files that open ok in version 4.0.0.0 get stuck in a loop when trying to open the 3D view in version 4.1.3.1.

DSpeegle

#10 Post by DSpeegle » 17 Dec 2021, 08:00

I've got the latest version, fully activated, and I can no longer output Step files. They come out as empty files and this only happens if I have the components exported on the board. All of my components are .step files that are stored locally, and I've never had issues with the previous versions of this program, just this latest one. Being able to export is important for our work flow, so any help would be appreciated.