Many unable to create 3d model by entered dimensions dialog after selecting from PCB "3D", eventual program quit!

Report bugs here
Martin Johnson

Many unable to create 3d model by entered dimensions dialog after selecting from PCB "3D", eventual program quit!

#1 Post by Martin Johnson » 21 Sep 2020, 12:54

Hi,

I think I find a bug and also a rather serious code design issue; when check the 3d model that is auto generated by IPC generator (in library and also in the dialog before create a 3D view from PCB) it is fine. So for example click "3D" on PCB toolbar then click the "..." on each IPC7351 part for example "CAP_0402_N" and it renders ok, no dimension error; But when clicking OK to creating the 3D view from PCB I get many "Unable to generate 3D model by entered dimensions! Check the values or select another 3D model source." "OK" dialog message boxes. Each asks to press OK, if you never click OK then eventually when having many components that don't render then the application process to generate the 3D view slows down, it also slows down windows massively then the application just quits. The issue should not exist since the 3D model parameters are there and the model can be viewed of each component before generating the view by clicking the "..." before the whole 3D board generation.

Apart from the issue regarding the inability of the application to generate the correct 3D model, the application should also not launch so many dialog boxes, perhaps these things should be logged and sensibly presented after generation instead; for stability sake and not to drive the user mad having to click OK so many times to prevent the application hang; the multiple dialogs during generation is definitely not good programming practise.

This seems mainly to exist with all capacitor parts that are in the standard library for example "CAP_0402_N" etc.

Also it seems the whole process is very slow to generate the 3D when it does actually work (many clicks ok "OK" on dialogs, and many capacitor parts are missing!).

Version is the latest 4.0.5, OS is windows 10 64 bit.

Martin Johnson

Re: Many unable to create 3d model by entered dimensions dialog after selecting from PCB "3D", eventual program quit!

#2 Post by Martin Johnson » 30 Sep 2020, 12:14

An update on this issue, after clicking "OK" after clicking 3D in PCB on resulting dialogs during 3D model creation "multiple times, about 20 to 30 times" on a PCB with many parts (for a brief time the full 3D PCB is displayed with most of the parts rendered; but is then replaced with a blank grey screen) to prevent hanging during the creation process then eventually the 3D image gets displayed. It misses many component 3D models including the PCB itself. Clicking "Redraw" button on the 3D window then only one dialog is displayed complaining about "Unable to create 3D model by entered dimensions". Clicking "OK" on that single dialog; then after some time the PCB is displayed correctly and the capacitors that were missing (along with the PCB itself) is now shown.

Serg
Technical Support

Re: Many unable to create 3d model by entered dimensions dialog after selecting from PCB "3D", eventual program quit!

#3 Post by Serg » 19 Oct 2020, 07:11

Martin Johnson wrote:
21 Sep 2020, 12:54
But when clicking OK to creating the 3D view from PCB I get many "Unable to generate 3D model by entered dimensions!
I couldn't reproduce this problem. Please send the design file (.dip) to our technical support.
support at diptrace.com

Martin Johnson

#4 Post by Martin Johnson » 19 Oct 2020, 12:56

Hi Serg,

Thanks very much for your reply, as suggested I have emailed the PCB file to support@diptrace.com

Many thanks & kind regards,

Martin Johnson.

Serg
Technical Support

#5 Post by Serg » 26 Oct 2020, 07:18

Thank you for files. We have fixed this issue for the next update.