Pour Clearance, Netclass Clearance in DRC

Report bugs here
PaulNewf

Pour Clearance, Netclass Clearance in DRC

#1 Post by PaulNewf » 25 Feb 2021, 03:57

Bug or Feature Request - Given how it has bitten us a few times I'm feeling bug.

The Checkbox "Use Net Clearance" in "Copper pour Properties" causes the specified clearance to be ignored, and instead use each net's clearance (but it doesn't gray out Clearance when ignoring it).

Please fix to use the larger of Net Clearance and the specified Pour Clearance.
i.e. if Pour Clearance is 0.4mm and Netclass Clearance is 0.2, then use 0.2 when checking that net
i.e. if Pour Clearance is 0.4mm and Netclass Clearance is 0.6, then use 0.6 when checking that net
If user wishes to use only Net Clearance they can set pour Clearance to 0.
If user wishes to use only Pour Clearance they can disable the checkbox (not recommended).

This fix goes with: Netclass: "Use Clearance in DRC" should default to ON for all new netclasses and new designs
- otherwise what is the point of specifying a netclass clearance at all?).
- Every single new person here messes this up, and proficient users sometimes get bitten when they forget to set this (me included).

Paul

PaulNewf

Re: Pour Clearance, Netclass Clearance in DRC

#2 Post by PaulNewf » 25 Feb 2021, 05:17

Fixed Typo at i.e. 0.4mm

Bug or Feature Request - Given how it has bitten us a few times I'm feeling bug.

The Checkbox "Use Net Clearance" in "Copper pour Properties" causes the specified clearance to be ignored, and instead use each net's clearance (but it doesn't gray out Clearance when ignoring it).

Please fix to use the larger of Net Clearance and the specified Pour Clearance.
i.e. if Pour Clearance is 0.4mm and Netclass Clearance is 0.2, then use 0.4 when checking that net
i.e. if Pour Clearance is 0.4mm and Netclass Clearance is 0.6, then use 0.6 when checking that net
If user wishes to use only Net Clearance they can set pour Clearance to 0.
If user wishes to use only Pour Clearance they can disable the checkbox (not recommended).

This fix goes with: Netclass: "Use Clearance in DRC" should default to ON for all new netclasses and new designs
- otherwise what is the point of specifying a netclass clearance at all?).
- Every single new person here messes this up, and proficient users sometimes get bitten when they forget to set this (me included).

Paul

Alex
Technical Support

#3 Post by Alex » 26 Feb 2021, 02:47

Please try the latest build (4.1.1.0), we have fixed copper pour clearance when use net clearance option turned on.

PaulNewf

#4 Post by PaulNewf » 26 Feb 2021, 05:54

Works great, thank you
Paul

whitebream

#5 Post by whitebream » 26 Mar 2021, 14:29

The problem appears to be back in 4.1.2.0.
Clearance of copper pour is ignored when updating.
Although the DRC does note the issue and complains.

Alex
Technical Support

#6 Post by Alex » 29 Mar 2021, 01:54

The problem should be fixed in 4.1.2.0. If not, please send board file for verification.

whitebream

#7 Post by whitebream » 23 Jun 2021, 22:37

I see where I got confused; with the 'Use Net Clearance', the copper pour clearance is completely ignored, and only the net clearances are used.
I was expecting the copper pour clearance to take precedence over the clearance of the connected net. So the 'Use net clearances' would only affect the interaction with other nets, particularly those with greater clearance than the copper pour.

For example normal GND net clearance 0.15mm, GND pour clearance 0.25mm, signal Net1 clearance 0.5mm, signal Net2 clearance 0.15mm.
Resulting clearances should be GND-pour to Net1 0.5mm (is okay), GND-pour to Net2: 0.25mm (not okay, is 0.15mm).

Alex
Technical Support

#8 Post by Alex » 24 Jun 2021, 23:32

The software uses either copper pour clearance or net clearance. There are no other options.
You can use net clearance but open net class properties then open clearance details and set larger clearance between copper and other objects than between traces, vias, etc.