Net names and tracks

Post your feature requests here. Please use search function to ensure it is not here yet.
kikib

Net names and tracks

#1 Post by kikib » 23 Feb 2014, 01:44

Hello all, I use Altium professionally at work and have recently come across DipTrace which I think is great and want to use more! I have a few suggestions to make regarding net names and tracks.

1. Net names and ports
In the schematic editor, it would be useful when you add a net port to a wire such as "+5V" for that wire to automatically inherit "+5V" as its net name. This then gets transferred to the PCB layout.

Example: this helps the designer to associate particular part of the schematic to the PCB without thinking too much. It's difficult to think "+5V" on the schematic is "Net 0" like when trying to remember which net to choose for the copper pour.

2. Tracks in PCB layout
In the PCB layout, it would be useful to have the net names show up on the copper tracks (and vias, pads). This is a visualization feature only. This helps the designer to route the board according to purpose of the track ie. high-speed track, high current, differential pairs without too much effort. Altium Designer has this feature if you wish to see what I'm talking about.

Thanks

vetsen

Re: Net names and tracks

#2 Post by vetsen » 21 May 2014, 13:06

I would also like to have this feature.

-Vetsen

DanLasley

#3 Post by DanLasley » 22 May 2014, 11:14

+1

And it might be associated with the Power Group as well. Thus the copper traces would default to the Power width instead of Default.

rullywowr

#4 Post by rullywowr » 23 May 2014, 11:18

kikib wrote:Hello all, I use Altium professionally at work and have recently come across DipTrace which I think is great and want to use more! I have a few suggestions to make regarding net names and tracks.

1. Net names and ports
In the schematic editor, it would be useful when you add a net port to a wire such as "+5V" for that wire to automatically inherit "+5V" as its net name. This then gets transferred to the PCB layout.

Example: this helps the designer to associate particular part of the schematic to the PCB without thinking too much. It's difficult to think "+5V" on the schematic is "Net 0" like when trying to remember which net to choose for the copper pour.

2. Tracks in PCB layout
In the PCB layout, it would be useful to have the net names show up on the copper tracks (and vias, pads). This is a visualization feature only. This helps the designer to route the board according to purpose of the track ie. high-speed track, high current, differential pairs without too much effort. Altium Designer has this feature if you wish to see what I'm talking about.

Thanks
I was just coming on here to say exactly what was said in the #1 feature. When designing the Net Port in component creator, there should be a field to automatically rename the net to what is put in that field. So useful. Currently, we have to drop the net port, rename the first instance of the port to (GND/V+ etc) every time a new schematic is created. I feel this is super important and makes life so easy!

Suggestion #2 would be cool as well...however I can work around this by hovering my cursor over the trace to see the name in the bottom left which works for me.