Component placement templates

Post your feature requests here. Please use search function to ensure it is not here yet.
LeFish

Component placement templates

#1 Post by LeFish » 04 Nov 2022, 03:10

Hi there,

I work a lot with hierarchy blocks.

It came then to my mind that one could define a pattern placement template which defines how components within a hierarchy block are arranged. This template could then be easily repeated over again on all (or maybe a subset) of instances of one hierarchy block.

As one picture says more than a thousand words I made a quick sketch:

https://i2.paste.pics/ec0a28e6c63bbaf5e ... 7ada7f.png

The template (pink) defines the x/y-Coords of each component within one master block in a local coord system (red). All the blocks are then arranged likewise to the master block in a separate local coord system. This local coord system is then linearily translated into the two X/Y directions of the global coordinate system and therefore form some sort of global pattern (x and y offset for each instance can be set by the user manually for easy implementation).

The components can then easily grouped by hand and moved to the final destination.

Thanks!

Best regards,
LeFish

Alex
Technical Support

Re: Component placement templates

#2 Post by Alex » 06 Nov 2022, 19:57

This already done in DipTrace. Try "Route -> Hieararchy" in PCB Layout made from hierarchical schematic. If you routed one instance of hierarchical block you can copy placement and routing to other instances.

LeFish

Re: Component placement templates

#3 Post by LeFish » 14 Nov 2022, 22:42

Hello Alex,

this is great! I just tried that feature and it works great!

Thank you so much!

Best regards
LeFish