Custom layers in patterns

Post your feature requests here. Please use search function to ensure it is not here yet.
laurik

Custom layers in patterns

#1 Post by laurik » 25 Apr 2021, 03:09

I would like to be able to add my own custom layer to components that require mounting holes in the front panel of my device. The Top/Bottom Assy layer is not convenient for this because it is used for many other details (assembly of the PCB). If the component editor let me to add my own custom layer with a custom name, I could add the holes that potentiometers, switches, and displays require to be cut for mounting them. This would be complete with the PCB Layout feature to export the custom layer to DXF for manufacture.

Now, if that was possible, I'd add another layer for other mounting features like studs, mounting brackets, etc. Ideally the feature should not be limited to a single additional fixed layer.

Tomg
Expert

Re: Custom layers in patterns

#2 Post by Tomg » 26 Apr 2021, 00:44

Are you talking about holes in a chassis and not the PCB?
Could you post a screenshot showing an example?
Tom

Alex
Technical Support

#3 Post by Alex » 26 Apr 2021, 20:41

We will consider custom layers in Pattern Editor similar to PCB Layout. Thank you for the suggestion.

KevinA

#4 Post by KevinA » 28 Apr 2021, 01:41

Alex wrote: 26 Apr 2021, 20:41 We will consider custom layers in Pattern Editor similar to PCB Layout. Thank you for the suggestion.
PAD STACKS!

laurik

#5 Post by laurik » 27 May 2021, 22:21

Tomg wrote: 26 Apr 2021, 00:44 Are you talking about holes in a chassis and not the PCB?
Could you post a screenshot showing an example?
I mean specifically holes in the chassis or front panel of the device, ready to be exported for further processing. These are often/always defined in the datasheets of the respective parts. For example, the placement and diameter of the hole needed for a potentiometer shaft.

Right now I am using the Assy layer, see attached image. But this has the unfortunate consequence of including various other lines that must be then removed manually from the exported diagram. Ideally I'd like to export only this single layer and some origin marker. I don't even want to export the PCB outline as it is irrelevant (cutouts can be particularly difficult to remove by hand).
Attachments
vr_mounting.png
vr_mounting.png (30.76 KiB) Viewed 199 times