"group to layout"

Post your feature requests here. Please use search function to ensure it is not here yet.
Neutron7

"group to layout"

#1 Post by Neutron7 » 21 Mar 2021, 09:48

My idea is for a feature called something like "group to layout"

You would select some components in schematic, then right click option "group to layout" would cause that set of components to be placed together when you update your board layout from the schematic. (if they have not been placed within the board outline) this would save a lot of time sorting through the ratline mess when starting a new board, especially for larger projects.

KevinA

Re: "group to layout"

#2 Post by KevinA » 21 Mar 2021, 15:38

View/Objects/Ratline unchecked
done

Neutron7

#3 Post by Neutron7 » 22 Mar 2021, 11:28

That still leaves the components jumbled about randomly when you import the nets to a new board. this way would keep them organized as they are in the schematic.(if you want)

Alex
Technical Support

#4 Post by Alex » 22 Mar 2021, 22:54

Thank you for the suggestion, we will consider it.
We plan to implement cross selection between schematic and PCB in future versions. That will allow to select some components in schematic and they will become selected in PCB Layout.

Neutron7

#5 Post by Neutron7 » 27 Mar 2021, 09:37

That is an even better solution, great! can there be an option to have the parts selected in the schematic stay marked even if not selected in PCB?

SoundMod

#6 Post by SoundMod » 11 Apr 2021, 09:07

Neutron7 wrote: 27 Mar 2021, 09:37 That is an even better solution, great! can there be an option to have the parts selected in the schematic stay marked even if not selected in PCB?
Altium does this with a tool called something like "Place parts inside rectangle"... basically it works like that:
1. Select the parts in the schematic you want to place
2. In the pcb editor, simply draw a selection rectangle in the desired area

Then what happens, all the selected parts are then place in the drawn rectangle.

Actually it speeds up the placement process a lot. I wish we could get something similar or better in Diptrace.

Another Altium feature I would like to see in Diptrace, is the uses of Room. I'm pretty sure that a feature similar to Altium Rooms made the Novarm way would be interesting.

Alex
Technical Support

#7 Post by Alex » 12 Apr 2021, 20:31

Thank you for explaining how the feature works in Altium. We will consider implementing it and rooms in DipTrace.

SoundMod

#8 Post by SoundMod » 15 Apr 2021, 02:50

Alex wrote: 12 Apr 2021, 20:31 Thank you for explaining how the feature works in Altium. We will consider implementing it and rooms in DipTrace.
Actually, the "Place parts inside rectangle" feature speed up placement a lot but it is only limited to placement.

Rooms has several extra advantages not only related to placement but also to multi-channel routing and rooms. I might be missing some other thing since I'm still learning them.
1. For routing and placement on a multi-channel circuit (sub-circuit of the same topology), room could be seen like a matrix of object (A bit like the matrix for panelisation in Diptrace). So each sub-circuit will have there own room, however since the topology is the same for each of them you only have to place and route one room entirely. Once you done that, you just have to copy the room format (matrix) and paste it to the other room.

2. You can use room to organise classes on your PCB. Room can be within a room (like Class having sub-class).

3. Once parts are placed and organise in a room, its possible to move all the object kept inside that room. The advantage of that is that you can route small portion of the board (the one contained inside the room) and still play with the placement of other object easily. Simply select the room and move it, all the object contained in that room will be moved or rotated.