Sorting Improvements

Post your feature requests here. Please use search function to ensure it is not here yet.
Dave8266

Sorting Improvements

#1 Post by Dave8266 » 20 Feb 2021, 13:17

A few feature suggestions related to sorting functions in DipTrace:

1) In both the Pattern Editor and Component Editor, when you select the "Sort" option from the "Library" menu, the selected pattern/component switches to the first one in the alphabetical list after the sort operation, which is problematic. It would be helpful if the selection stayed on the pattern/component it was on before the sorting. I recently had a near-mistake, when I sorted a library, and the selection changed to a part that was visually very similar to the one I was editing - so after the sort, I resumed editing, but later discovered I had edited the wrong part.

For example, if the pattern library is:
Part A
Part D
Part C <-- Selected and in view
Part E

and I click Library->Sort, the result is:
Part A <-- Selected and in view (this changed from C to A!)
Part C
Part D
Part E

... when it should be:
Part A
Part C <-- Selected and in view (Stayed on the same item after sorting)
Part D
Part E

2) It would be nice to have an option to "Keep User Libraries Sorted" - A setting that could be enabled once, and then all libraries would be automatically kept sorted. This could be re-sorted in real-time (updating as component names were edited), or it could be auto-sorted any time the library is saved, etc.

3) In both the Schematic and PCB editor tools, the Design Manager panel has a button to sort the components. This too is a one-time operation. It would be nice if there was an option to always keep the Design Manager panels sorted.

4) In the Schematic editor (haven't tested in PCB editor), there is a bug that, while the sorting within the design manager is saved to the project file, the act of sorting the list doesn't register as a change to the project. So for example, if I load a schematic, then click the Sort button, the Save icon (floppy disk image) remains greyed out, and I can't save the file. Closing and re-opening the file will show the Design Manager components in their prior unsorted state, because it wasn't saved. However, if the list is sorted, then any other small change is made to the schematic, the Save icon becomes enabled, and the component sorting will be saved when the file is saved.

Thanks

Alex
Technical Support

Re: Sorting Improvements

#2 Post by Alex » 23 Feb 2021, 20:45

1. We will try to implement it.
2 and 3. We will consider keeping items always sorted but we want to avoid unnecessary CPU load.
4. Sorting the list is not considered as a change therefore the save icon remains greyed out. I am not sure this is the bug but we will consider it.
Thank you.

Dave8266

Re: Sorting Improvements

#3 Post by Dave8266 » 24 Feb 2021, 11:26

Thanks Alex, appreciate it!