copper pour option changes - take 2

Post your feature requests here. Please use search function to ensure it is not here yet.
Tomg
Expert

copper pour option changes - take 2

#1 Post by Tomg » 22 Jun 2020, 16:12

The suggestions below were inspired by this thread - viewtopic.php?f=24&t=13464, which is an example of a workaround that should not be necessary.

I think it would improve usability if the options under the [Border] tab of the Copper Pour Properties dialog window were changed to reduce some confusion and add a little more flexibility. Here is a proposal for a new set of options...

1) When enabled the first option named "Snap to Board Outline" causes the copper pour to cover the entire board. The Copper to Board Outline clearance setting found under the [Traces and Vias] tab in the Route Setup dialog window is enforced unless the "Board Outline Clearance" option (see item 2 below) has been enabled with a different setting. When disabled the Board Outline clearance is still enforced as previously-mentioned, but the copper pour is not expanded to cover the entire board...
cp0_1.jpg
2) The second option named "Board Outline Clearance" must always remain available and independent of the other options. When disabled (see illustrations above) it enforces the Copper to Board Outline clearance setting found under the [Traces and Vias] tab in the Route Setup dialog window; and the grayed-out value inside the text entry box to its right should always mirror that same setting. When enabled (see illustrations below) it enforces a new Board Outline clearance setting specified by a manually-entered value in the text entry box. This option has no affect on Board Cutout clearance nor does it change any other part of the copper pour...
cp2_12.jpg
3) The third option named "Board Cutout Clearance" must always remain available and independent of the other options. When disabled (see illustrations above) it enforces the copper pour clearance around board cutouts using the Copper to Board Outline setting found under the [Traces and Vias] tab in the Route Setup dialog window; and the grayed-out value inside the text entry box to its right should always mirror that same setting. When enabled (see illustrations below) it enforces a new Board Cutout clearance setting specified by a manually-entered value in the text entry box. This option does not affect Board Outline clearance nor does it change any other part of the copper pour...
cp3_23_123.jpg
I've been working on these ideas for a while (this is my third attempt at clarity) so please forgive me if I may have forgotten something obvious. I hope everything is readable, easy to understand and most importantly practical.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tom

webwizard

Re: copper pour option changes - take 2

#2 Post by webwizard » 19 Jul 2020, 09:15

+1 to this...