Component Editor smart text refresh

Post your feature requests here. Please use search function to ensure it is not here yet.
Tomg
Expert

Component Editor smart text refresh

#1 Post by Tomg » 06 Apr 2020, 05:13

I've noticed while updating one of my component libraries by adding some smart text to reflect the value of a resistor (Show > Value), the smart text will not reflect the value of its related component until some kind of manual change has been made to one of the component's main property fields. The smart text was added en masse by editing the exported DipTrace ASCII file, which is why the smart text does not immediately display each assigned value. It may not seem like much of an inconvenience to manually update individual component fields, until one tries to do this with a library containing over 5,000 resistors of differing values.

Would it be possible to add a button somewhere in the Component Editor that would run a subroutine to automatically refresh/update all instances of smart text to force the instant mirroring of those fields to which they were assigned?
st.png
st.png (502.15 KiB) Viewed 276 times
Tom

fi2eewill

Re: Component Editor smart text refresh

#2 Post by fi2eewill » 06 Apr 2020, 14:28

@Tomg, I have also noticed this behaviour if I create a new component and a copy another's component pins / shapes / text etc...
Changing any field in the new component fixes the smart text -

The interesting part is that even when the library is saved, the text does not update. In schematic capture, if I were to select the component, the preview window actually matches with the library view. Strangely, if I place the component it will actually display the correct smart text value! go figure :!:

It would be nice to "refresh" library on save, so all parts gets updated properly...
Attachments
lib_smarttext.png
lib_smarttext.png (216.63 KiB) Viewed 268 times

Tomg
Expert

Re: Component Editor smart text refresh

#3 Post by Tomg » 06 Apr 2020, 15:30

"...In schematic capture, if I were to select the component, the preview window actually matches with the library view. Strangely, if I place the component it will actually display the correct smart text value..."
I've noticed that, too. It almost seems like the developers overlooked something when they added the smart text feature to the Component Editor. I hope they fix it.
Tom