Placing symbols

Post your feature requests here. Please use search function to ensure it is not here yet.
rick.curl
Expert

Placing symbols

#1 Post by rick.curl » 20 Jan 2020, 12:19

I recently posted a question about placing the registered trademark symbol ("R" in a circle) on the silkscreen layer: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13214
Although there is a way to do this it's not very straightforward. Diptrace makes it easy to insert shapes, text, or pictures on any layer, but not symbols. If you could add an option that brings up a character map to allow selection of symbols, that would be very useful (at least for me).

Thanks for your consideration.

-Rick

dudemanbroguy

Re: Placing symbols

#2 Post by dudemanbroguy » 22 Jan 2020, 22:20

You can add text to your PCB then do the ALT code for the registered symbol.

Add text and while typing hold the ALT key and on the numpad type 0174 then release ALT.

At first all you will get is this empty square
alt code 1.jpg
But if you right click the text and change font type from vector to TrueType it will show up properly.
alt code 2.jpg
You can then go ahead and change around the font to whatever and it will inherit the alt code. Just for fun here is the test text again in comic sans 24 point font.
alt code 3.jpg
I do have to say however that some of the fonts look like garbage when you do it like this. Lots of jagged edges and such. But hopefully this helps you out. I also grabbed this alt code reference sheet from google images in case you wanted to see what other options are out there.
Alt Code Reference Sheet.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rick.curl
Expert

Re: Placing symbols

#3 Post by rick.curl » 23 Jan 2020, 09:03

Thanks for the info. The original thing that had me stopped was that I forgot to select a Truetype font. It's working OK now- although I still think it would be handy to have a drop down menu of all of the symbols.

-Rick