A few things I'd like to see

Post your feature requests here. Please use search function to ensure it is not here yet.
ryansoundlab

A few things I'd like to see

#1 Post by ryansoundlab » 30 May 2019, 03:17

I really like DipTrace, especially in comparison to Eagle which I was using for years. DipTrace is much more intuitive, using the Windows interface instead of old CAD-style. Besides the many suggestions already made, there are few things that would make using the program a bit easier:
1. When you open any of the 4 applications, have them open in their previous window size instead of full screen. This would save many extra mouse clicks as multiple files are opened.
2. Have "Replace Part" work on multiple parts at once. You could select all the parts you want changed and then do it once instead of having to change each part one at a time. This would be similar to changing the value of multiple parts at the same time (which you already have).
3. Parts alignment tool (this is an old request by several others).
4. Dotted, dashed, etc drawing lines (e.g. on the silk screen layer). Another old request.
5. Incremental move (with arrow keys) of markings for parts on the silkscreen layer. Right now after pressing F10, you can only move the markings with the mouse. This makes it hard to get exact placement.
6. Complete flexibility for Markings placement for parts Patterns and Components. The default (and only) setting is that every resistor (for example) has its ID on one side of the part and its value on the other side. With typically crowded boards, this causes untold amounts of interference of markings on both the schematic and the layout. I have to manually move every single marking to make them fit right. I suggest that markings should be movable in the Pattern and Component apps and those moved positions transfer to the actual schematics and layouts.

Thanks.

Brent

Re: A few things I'd like to see

#2 Post by Brent » 30 May 2019, 14:29

+1 to all of those. But #6 is especially poignant.

Arcturus

#3 Post by Arcturus » 19 Apr 2020, 07:29

#3 - isn't it in right-click menu -> Align Objects?
But still, this should be toolbar buttons/main menu entry, not hidden only in context menu.

ryansoundlab

#4 Post by ryansoundlab » 26 Apr 2020, 02:53

Yes! I found the alignment tool months later in that menu. It works fine. Can be removed from my "nice to have" list. thanks!

Moris

#5 Post by Moris » 15 May 2020, 08:37

1. When using an appriopriate window manger this usualy works by clicking shift and the x in the upper right of the windows, but not with Diptrace indeed.
2. This works, see "Apply to" in the "replace part" panel.
4. What yould be a use case for this? :?:
5. I guess this can be done independent of diptrace, i.e. with authotkey if your're using windows.

ryansoundlab

#6 Post by ryansoundlab » 17 May 2020, 03:08

Thanks for the feedback and ideas. I'm still learning about what DipTrace already has in it even after about 4 years of using it. In response to the specifics:
1. (window opens the same size as when last closed) - still no joy on that.
2. ("replace part" for a group) - Had not noticed that option was already there. Looks like it will do the job. Thanks!
4. (dotted lines for silk layer) - I can use this for showing where some components need to be mounted, where things need to be aligned, or where to break the board into parts, for example. Yes, I can (and do) use solid lines for that now but it would be clearer for what the lines are for if some could be dotted. How hard can it be?
5. (use arrow keys for repositioning part references/values on silk layer). What would be the best is to be able to position part references and values in the pattern itself, then they'd always be just where you wanted them with no extra effort. As it is, I have to reposition every single reference and value on the board layout itself so they don't overlap (overlap happens often with rows of resistors, for example). The repositioning means repeatedly moving text precisely with the mouse. This is a fatiguing process which could be more precise with small movements by arrow keys instead in many cases. Think of working in PowerPoint and having to move everything only by mouse - quite difficult if you want precision. The CAD guys would probably recommend a trackball but I never got into that, but arrows work well. Hitting "shift-arrow" allows even finer movements.

Tomg
Expert

#7 Post by Tomg » 17 May 2020, 03:48

6. Complete flexibility for Markings placement for parts Patterns and Components. The default (and only) setting is that every resistor (for example) has its ID on one side of the part and its value on the other side. With typically crowded boards, this causes untold amounts of interference of markings on both the schematic and the layout. I have to manually move every single marking to make them fit right. I suggest that markings should be movable in the Pattern and Component apps and those moved positions transfer to the actual schematics and layouts.
This is already possible in the upcoming version 4 (v3, too). For example place text that you want to have represent the reference designator (e.g. "R" for a resistor), right-click on the newly-placed text and choose Show > RefDes. There are some related bugs such as disappearing numbers and returning to default positions when updating a component from the library in the Schematic and PCB editors, but they're aware of them and are working on ironing them out for the production release of v4.
Tom

Moris

#8 Post by Moris » 17 May 2020, 04:23

5. Did you try the autohotkey software?

ryansoundlab

#9 Post by ryansoundlab » 17 May 2020, 04:28

Looked at it but did not know how to apply to the arrow movement. Any specifics on how to do that?

Moris

#10 Post by Moris » 17 May 2020, 04:44

5. Ok with autohotkey we could move the mouse cursor with keys - in general. But I guess the problem is in diptrace v3 the marking can just be selected by continuously pressing left mouse button and now the marking sticks to the mouse.