Easier usage of static vias

Post your feature requests here. Please use search function to ensure it is not here yet.
Grebu

Easier usage of static vias

#1 Post by Grebu » 14 Nov 2018, 06:43

For good connections to ground planes, shielding, guards, high currents you usually need a lot of static vias.
Right now it is really tedious to connect static vias to the appropriate net. You can do it one by one or try to select all of them and then set the net. Both options are really slow as in most designs it wont be easy to select vias only easily.

There are already via styles for static vias. Why not include an option there to create via styles which are already connected to a certain net?
This would make placing static vias a lot faster and less tedious. When you start placing vias you already know what they should be used for. So placing them without a net connection, as it is now, seems pointless.
Other solutions to make this easier are welcome too. Impedance controlled, length matched signals wont help unless the planes are properly connected. Therefore this important activity of placing vias really needs improvement.

DerekG

Re: Easier usage of static vias

#2 Post by DerekG » 14 Nov 2018, 13:13

Grebu wrote: 14 Nov 2018, 06:43 There are already via styles for static vias. Why not include an option there to create via styles which are already connected to a certain net?
This would make placing static vias a lot faster and less tedious. When you start placing vias you already know what they should be used for.
Yes, another excellent idea Grebu. I also support this change. Alex, please put this on your to-do list. Thanks.
I also sat between Elvis & Bigfoot on the UFO.

CrisB

#3 Post by CrisB » 14 Nov 2018, 22:53

I support this feature too.

Grebu

#4 Post by Grebu » 14 Jun 2019, 21:15

Bumped up. This would be very useful when working on power or signal integrity etc.

dslocum

#5 Post by dslocum » 19 Apr 2022, 12:27

I agree. I'm up to version 4.2.0.1. What ever happened to this request?

xfer

#6 Post by xfer » 06 Jun 2022, 07:03

Yes! This would be a great, productive feature!