How do you make libraries that work across computers?

Making your own components and patterns, organizing and using libraries.
eporgkjmwagpokew

How do you make libraries that work across computers?

#1 Post by eporgkjmwagpokew » 21 Oct 2020, 15:36

I'm currently evaluating DipTrace and I'm running into an issue with creating libraries.

I noticed that the program uses an absolute path when I add a STEP model to the footprint. This means my Windows account name is hard-coded into the path, so the models don't work when my coworker opens up the project.

I was wondering what the solution to this is. Hopefully it doesn't require using the same exact paths on any machine trying to open up the project. Not only would this be impractical (for example, if you wanted to rename a folder name), but depending on certain IT security/permission policies, it might be downright impossible.

Serg
Technical Support

Re: How do you make libraries that work across computers?

#2 Post by Serg » 21 Oct 2020, 20:34

You can keep "step" files into folder with project (".dip") file. In this case when you run 3D model preview the program will search the attached models by file name in the project folder.

rick.curl
Expert

#3 Post by rick.curl » 22 Oct 2020, 01:32

I ran across that same problem but I took a different approach.
I created C:\Diptrace\My Libraries off the root on all three computers I use. I use Google Drive to keep the libraries in sync.

-Rick

farley

#4 Post by farley » 22 Oct 2020, 06:43

Yet another approach if all users are on the same network:
Place the libraries on a shared drive (in my case a Synology DS220j) and map to that drive on each computer.

eporgkjmwagpokew

#5 Post by eporgkjmwagpokew » 22 Oct 2020, 15:37

Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions. We're trying to avoid hard-coded paths, so putting our STEP files in the same folder as the ".dip" file is the solution we chose.

The way we structure our projects is that every project has its own copy of all libraries it uses, as opposed to using a centralized library shared across projects. Over time, we've realized that the hassle of maintaining a centralized library that multiple people have access to is just more of a hassle, and more error prone, than each project managing its own library. This way you know exactly what you are working with, what changes are being made, and version control tracks all changes together.

The other problem I am having, though, is that library links inside the schematic seem to be hard-coded as well. So if I rename the project folder, for example "Project A" to "Project A1," all the library links are broken. Alternatively, if Bob and Joe had their libraries anywhere inside their Windows user account, all the library links will fail for the other person (because the Windows user account name is in the path). I tried placing the component libraries in the same folder as the schematic, hoping they would resolve similar to the 3D models, but this was not the case. Is there a way to do this without requiring everyone to store their libraries at an identical path?

Serg
Technical Support

#6 Post by Serg » 26 Oct 2020, 02:03

eporgkjmwagpokew wrote: 22 Oct 2020, 15:37 The other problem I am having, though, is that library links inside the schematic seem to be hard-coded as well. So if I rename the project folder, for example "Project A" to "Project A1," all the library links are broken. Alternatively, if Bob and Joe had their libraries anywhere inside their Windows user account, all the library links will fail for the other person (because the Windows user account name is in the path). I tried placing the component libraries in the same folder as the schematic, hoping they would resolve similar to the 3D models, but this was not the case. Is there a way to do this without requiring everyone to store their libraries at an identical path?
In this situation you can only select a library manually.
Update_1.png
Update_1.png (17.94 KiB) Viewed 635 times