making multipart component

Making your own components and patterns, organizing and using libraries.
queenidog1

making multipart component

#1 Post by queenidog1 » 12 Oct 2020, 01:38

I know how to use the component and pattern editors, having made a number of them.

Recently I made a large PCB consisting of MOSFETs but forgot to include bleeder resistors between the gate and source. (The resistors were on my mockup and on my schematic...).

Since there are LOTS of Mosfets (96), all nicely aligned, I want to create a MOSFET with a resistor across it, then simply do a "replace component" for all on the board. So far, all my trials didn't work out and I'd probably be finished, had I added the resistors manually. However, I think it's a good idea to know how to do this.

In Microsoft Visio, a drawing/drafting program, I can create any pattern, group it, then pick and slide it over to the library where I can give it a name. I can create objects in seconds with that method. I'd like to see the same in Diptrace. It would really improve the speed of creating objects.

The problem, after I'm able to add a resistor to the MOSFET (not easy as you would think), is connecting the traces between the resistor and the MOSFET.

I can put a resistor with MOSFET on the board, group it, then copy and paste 96 times, but I'd have to remove the previous MOSFET, then everything gets out of alignment and I basically have to start over.

Alex
Technical Support

Re: making multipart component

#2 Post by Alex » 13 Oct 2020, 02:30

You can create hierachical block consisting of two components in Schematic. Then use the block as many times as you need in your design. Read more in DipTrace tutorial how to use hierarchy in DipTrace.