How to work with "plug-in modules"/"shields"/"capes"

Making your own components and patterns, organizing and using libraries.
dieterv

How to work with "plug-in modules"/"shields"/"capes"

#1 Post by dieterv » 07 Oct 2020, 23:31

Hi,

I am creating a board for a GNSS receiver. Since my project requires a differential solution (heading), I'll need two of these on my main PCB.
I came across the following questions:

1. I would like to make a component that has just the location of the pin headers, so that I can use that as a basis for new modules that need to be made compatible. As I see it, there's no option to do this? Only thing I came up with is making a dxf with the layout and use that as a "template". Not very practical or "exact" (connector positions)
2. for the main board, I need some kind of component that represents the "add-on" board, but with the connectors with the opposite sex (pins/sockets). This I can do with a component, but then I cannot place other components underneath the module (as that "space" is taken by the module). Is there another option?

regards,

dieter

KevinA

Re: How to work with "plug-in modules"/"shields"/"capes"

#2 Post by KevinA » 11 Oct 2020, 04:00

Start with a PCB and make a 3D model of it, next build your shield with the connector patterns needed for your PCB then change the 3D model of the connectors to your PCB 3D model:
PCB 3D model
PCB 3D model
m1-model.jpg (66.82 KiB) Viewed 220 times
Shield layout with connector placement
Shield layout with connector placement
M1-shield.jpg (102.09 KiB) Viewed 220 times
Final 3D view of shield PCB
Final 3D view of shield PCB
M1.jpg (60.46 KiB) Viewed 220 times

dieterv

Re: How to work with "plug-in modules"/"shields"/"capes"

#3 Post by dieterv » 11 Oct 2020, 22:10

That seems to be an option, but relies on using loading the "carrier" pcb and visually aligning the "shield" to it for each .

There's no way to create something like some kind of component that is a template for the "shield" but has only the board outline and the required connectors? Thus the free space is defined as "free". Not sure if this makes sense.
I've done things with DXF's (which amounts to something similar to your solution), but that 's all rather roundabout...