Does this "easy" tool even work??

Making your own components and patterns, organizing and using libraries.
schemer

Does this "easy" tool even work??

#1 Post by schemer » 09 Jul 2020, 09:38

As per the Mouser website it says...
SamacSys and Mouser are delivering a simple, click and drop solution for schematic symbols, PCB footprints and 3D models for millions of parts that's FREE to all engineers to use. It also integrates on install into all major ECAD tools.
Well after 2 days and 1 sleepless night dreaming about this tool, I give up. I think it will be easier to design my little 3D file in Fusion 360 that to keep fighting this. :lol: I followed the directions from the site but get errors of wrong file type and even when I pick the correct app (component editor) I can't get the file to show up in any other apps to use it. I am using version 4.03 now. Has or can someone make a modern up to date video tutorial where you can learn how to work the component and library stuff? I wake up with a fresh attitude and try again and again but by the end of the day I walk out of my computer room looking and feeling like I got stampeded by 100 elephants. :D Is the library stuff kind of hard to grasp??
Thanks,
schemer

schemer

Re: Does this "easy" tool even work??

#2 Post by schemer » 10 Jul 2020, 02:56

Well, after messing around with it some more last night and then again this morning, I gave up on the SamacSys tool. I did get it to work one time somehow and then either forgot to save the 3D model or gave up. Then I wasn't sure if I hosed my DT install so I uninstalled and reinstalled it after deleting my personal library attempts. So I read the tutorial on making a component and followed it and sure enough, I have figured it out and just used a 3D model from the Diptrace 3D model folder. Initially overwhelming but this way works for me and the easy way turns out to either be broken, or I couldn't get it to work. Next I will try to make a 3D component in Fusion 360 just for fun.I feel I am good to go now...
schemer

KevinA

#3 Post by KevinA » 10 Jul 2020, 03:10

What device were you after? I've used SmacSys since Mouser started using it, Mouser being my distributor of choice. I had issues at first and now the biggest issue is finding the device has no SamacSys device but I can pay for one :(

schemer

#4 Post by schemer » 10 Jul 2020, 05:11

KevinA,
I was looking for a PPTC RXEF010 and found Ultra Librarian had one so I registered and downloaded it and when viewed it looked like black hot air balloon. Not cool. :lol: So I found SmacSys and soon realized I downloaded it a few years back for use with DesignSpark PCB. The 3D file from SmacSys is just a flat thin rectangle and not the "bead" type of the real component (although other part numbers of a different series look like that), but it is better than a hot air balloon. :D Do you have any pointers on using SmacSys with Windows 10? In the end I found the file at the bottom of the 3D Models folder and grabbed it with the component editor.
Thanks,
schemer

rick.curl
Expert

#5 Post by rick.curl » 15 Jul 2020, 00:57

I had bad luck with it too, but yesterday I got in a jam and was forced to try it again. It worked great this time. I needed a 3D model for a device that was not listed. I requested it (free) and received the 3D model and footprint in less than an hour. Don't try to use the Diptrace version. Just go for the generic 3D (stp) version.
BTW- I am not using their "library loader". That thing is a disaster! Make your request for download at https://componentsearchengine.com. That's Samacsys by another name. IMHO it's WAY easier to use than Mouser's version

-Rick

schemer

#6 Post by schemer » 15 Jul 2020, 03:24

Rick,
Thanks for the info. I was indeed using the Diptrace version as it made sense to do so. :P The library loader gave me the most trouble with ASC or ASCII files. I am glad I am not the only one and this info will actually try again. I renewed my Fusion 360 hobby user (free) license so I could make my own STEP files for components but it a whole new learning challenge.
schemer