Why are 3D Models Assigned to Patterns Instead Of Components?

Making your own components and patterns, organizing and using libraries.
synthRodriguez

Why are 3D Models Assigned to Patterns Instead Of Components?

#1 Post by synthRodriguez » 03 Jul 2020, 01:02

New user, have the Full package for a couple of weeks now. Never used any other PCB design software. It's going great overall.

I don't understand the logic behind assigning 3D models at the Pattern level. It seems they should be assigned at the Component level. Same goes for the ability to call out a Manufacturer and Datasheet link in Pattern Properties.

To me a pattern is a generic entity, say a 14-pin or 16-pin DIP, or a simple spaced pair of pads for a resistor or capacitor.

What is the thinking behind adding a 3D model to such an entity? If I assign say a 16-pin resistor network 3D image to a pattern and want to use it for an open DIP socket, I now have to make two different patterns using, THE SAME PATTERN. Then I need a CD4016 switch, yet another Pattern with the same pattern footprint. I don't get it.

Would it not be simpler to have the pattern files non-specific to a component name or type and assign the 3D model at the Component level? Can someone explain the benefit of the current paradigm please?

KevinA

Re: Why are 3D Models Assigned to Patterns Instead Of Components?

#2 Post by KevinA » 03 Jul 2020, 10:27

A component is a logical representation of a device, it has properties that allow building a schematic and generating a netlist but one property a component doesn't have is pin physical position and that is needed to mate to a 3D model. You can (must) assign a pattern to a component but since the pattern is what is used to 'mate' with the 3D image the mating happens during the pattern creation.