Pattern editor has no "Graphics Mode" setting, so "3D Model" is glacially slow

Making your own components and patterns, organizing and using libraries.
FalconFour

Pattern editor has no "Graphics Mode" setting, so "3D Model" is glacially slow

#1 Post by FalconFour » 30 Jun 2020, 13:51

Take this object...
https://www.te.com/commerce/DocumentDel ... PA12PBR008

Open any pattern...

Go to 3D Model page of Pattern editor...

Pick this step file and "load model". It'll take about 6 years to put together... then it will show on the screen. Try and make any movements. It's like a statue, frozen. The whole program is frozen, like a slideshow that updates every 10 seconds.

Now... you say "that's a big step file, of course it's going to run like poop". Nay, I say. Observe.

Open PCB Editor. Go to View->Graphics mode->Direct3D. WOW, so much faster everything already - why isn't this the default mode? :o

Go to any object, right click, "3D Model". Same dialog appears. Same loading process. Load the model.

6 years later, the model appears. But now, drag around.

It is like butter. Smooth, fluid movement. Instant access to entering shift coordinates and everything.

Why not default to Direct3D or OpenGL mode for Pattern Editor so one can manipulate 3D models easily - since that's where you have to do it at the design stage anyway? Kinda bummed that I went through all the work to set up perfect 3D models for all the parts on my PCB, then when I did an "update from schematic", it wiped it all out! I would expect that 3D info to be tied to the editor, changed if exists, but not deleted if it had been manually set up...

KevinA

Re: Pattern editor has no "Graphics Mode" setting, so "3D Model" is glacially slow

#2 Post by KevinA » 01 Jul 2020, 06:17

This takes about 4 seconds to load
http://aaes.us/diptrace/STLINK-V3MODS.step
I have assumed that the pattern editor inherits whatever the Graphics Mode is of the PCB editor.

FalconFour

Re: Pattern editor has no "Graphics Mode" setting, so "3D Model" is glacially slow

#3 Post by FalconFour » 01 Jul 2020, 09:40

Huh - funny thing. I rebooted the computer and updated, and maybe closing PCB Editor down is what saved the preferences that were inherited into Pattern Editor next time around. Now it's working smoothly in Pattern Editor as well.

Guess you're right - it inherits the Graphics Mode setting from PCB Editor. Good news all around :)

Thanks!