Non-printing field characters

Making your own components and patterns, organizing and using libraries.
Exality

Non-printing field characters

#1 Post by Exality » 04 Mar 2018, 14:02

I'm seeing many instances where non-printing characters such as line feeds or tabs can get into a component field and wreak havoc when a BOM is generated.

This happens most often to me when I'm harvesting numbers from the DigiKey website for a particular part I'm adding to a library. I drag and Ctrl-C on the DigiKey field and Ctrl-V into the DipTrace component field. It looks fine in DipTrace -- the field only shows printing alphanumerics -- but the BOM which results has the non-printing characters in it which makes the .csv file not read correctly into Excel. You only discover you have a problem when you try to create a BOM.

For some reason it is very easy to get non-printing chars from DigiKey fields. If you happen to drag a half-character too far at the beginning or end of the text you're after, Ctrl-C gets a non-printing char. This makes field harvesting rather exacting and stressful.

The only way to get around this, once a non-printing char is in a DipTrace field, is something like this: copy the field text to a text editor, carefully delete the entire DipTrace field using Home, Shf-End, Delete (even though it may look empty after Ctrl-X it's not), doctor the text in the text editor to eliminate non-printing chars, and paste back into DipTrace.

I'm wasting a lot of time on this. I'd like to see DipTrace suppress all non-printable chars in component fields, and make the displayed fields match the fields written to a BOM file exactly. That would help a lot.
Last edited by Exality on 04 Mar 2018, 14:33, edited 1 time in total.
Gerrit

steve65

Re: Non-printing field characters

#2 Post by steve65 » 04 Mar 2018, 14:33

Paste first into Notepad. Then copy and paste from Notepad into DipTrace. It's been my experience that Notepad strips non-printing characters from the text.

Steve

Exality

Re: Non-printing field characters

#3 Post by Exality » 04 Mar 2018, 14:45

Saving to Notepad doesn't strip the non-printing chars for me, instead it actually makes them visible. If I copy/paste a block of all the DigiKey numbers I'm interested in to Notepad, I can then pick only the fields I want and skip the non-printable chars, so that's a workaround.

It's kind of a nuisance though, and adds another step to the process. I still think DipTrace should fix their fields as I described above.
Gerrit