Saving or transferring a "Library" to an external medium

Making your own components and patterns, organizing and using libraries.
agareau

Saving or transferring a "Library" to an external medium

#1 Post by agareau » 29 Jan 2018, 22:07

How do you copy a "Library" from "My Libraries" onto a USB storage key ? Where are they to be found on the storage media ?
Thanks, Andre

Tomg
Expert

Re: Saving or transferring a "Library" to an external medium

#2 Post by Tomg » 30 Jan 2018, 06:51

On a Windows machine, look for "C:\Users\[user name]\Documents\DipTrace\My Libraries".
Tom

agareau

#3 Post by agareau » 31 Jan 2018, 07:15

Thank you. I did go there before but unfortunately the sub-folder "My Libraries" is completely empty.
The "Windows File Search " function should be able to find it, if I can give it the "Real" name under which Diptrace stores it.

Tomg
Expert

#4 Post by Tomg » 31 Jan 2018, 08:48

To find the location DipTrace is currently using for your custom components...
1) In the Main Menu of the PCB Layout editor, click on "Library" and choose "Library Setup..." in the drop-down menu to bring up the Library Setup dialog window.
2) Select/highlight "User Components" in the "Groups" section of the Library Setup dialog window.
3) In the "Group Libraries" section of the Library Setup dialog window, select/highlight one of the listed folder or library names and note the file path displayed in the box below.
Tom

agareau

#5 Post by agareau » 31 Jan 2018, 09:10

Unfortunately, it's not there either
Andre

Tomg
Expert

#6 Post by Tomg » 31 Jan 2018, 09:40

As a last resort, try the following...
1) Load one of your boards into the PCB Layout editor.
2) Right-click on one of the components (not its pads) and select "Properties..." in the pop-up menu to bring up the Component Properties dialog window.
3) Select the [Main] tab in the Component Properties dialog window and take note of the file path being displayed in the "Library" box on the lower/right side.
Tom

agareau

#7 Post by agareau » 05 Mar 2018, 19:52

Well, I believe
I found the Library location. It appears to have the proper name..Andre's Library and is nearly 4MB big. However it has a ".ASC" suffix and when I try to import it into Diptrace on the new computer, I get an invalid file format. The only file that has ".lib" suffix is only 4KB long, which appears to be way too small for some 30 odd components that I have placed in "Andre's Library" I did manage to get a copy by using the "Export" command and the Diptrace ASC
II format. What can I try now ???
Andre

Tomg
Expert

#8 Post by Tomg » 05 Mar 2018, 21:32

If you think the large ASCII file might be the lost component library, then give the following procedure a try...
1) Launch the Component Editor and, in the Select Component panel on the left side of the screen, click on the Current Library Group selection box and choose "User Components".
2) Click on Library in the Main Menu, select "Import" in the drop-down menu and choose "DipTrace ASCII (*.asc)..." in the fly-out menu to bring up the Open dialog window.
2) In the Open dialog window navigate to and select/highlight the desired ASCII file and click on the [Open] button to bring up the Library Details dialog window.
3) In the Library Details dialog window you should see the new library name in the Name: box if it is a component library (this is the name that will appear in the User Components library list) and a short description in the Hint: box (this is the pop-up message that will appear when mousing-over the library name). Make sure the User Components library group is selected/highlighted and click on OK. The new library name should now appear selected/highlighted at the bottom of the User Components library list.
4) Use the hotkey combination Ctrl + S to initiate a save of the new library. The Save As dialog window should pop up.
5) In the Save As dialog window navigate to the folder where your custom component libraries are kept, enter the desired library file name in the File name: box and click on the [Save] button.

6) In the Main Menu click on Library and select Library Setup... in the drop-down menu to bring up the Library Setup dialog window.
7) In the Library Setup dialog window select/highlight User Components in the Groups list and find and select/highlight the new, individual library name (not a Group Library folder) in the Group Libraries list.
8) Use one of the two following library setup options that applies to your situation...
* Option A: If you are creating a library names list by specifying the entire User Components library group folder, then click on the [Delete Selected] button to delete the new, individual library name residing outside the listed folder and choose OK. In other words, a component library that already belongs to the User Components library group will be automatically displayed in the User Components library list in the Select Component panel on the left side of the screen, negating the need to list it separately.
* Option B: If instead you are creating a library names list by selecting individual component libraries without specifying the entire User Components library group, use the arrow buttons to move the new library name to the desired location in the list and click on OK. This will result in the new library name being moved to the same position in the User Components library list located inside the Select Component panel on the left side of the screen.

If that doesn't work, feel free to post the large ASCII file here and I'll take a look at it for you. (You might have to put it in a zip folder first.)
Tom

Alex
Technical Support

#9 Post by Alex » 06 Mar 2018, 10:28

ASCII files of component and pattern libraries (as well as schematics and layouts) have *.asc extension. Please make sure you import ASCII file of pattern library in Pattern editor. If you import ASCII file of component library you will get "invalid format" error. Just open ASCII file and read the first line to make sure you import ASCII file in right program.

agareau

#10 Post by agareau » 06 Mar 2018, 10:48

"TOMG"...Thanks a lot !!! You are good and I now have a transfer and copy of my special components file ! "Whopee !"
Your instructions are very clear and precise (very useful to an old "Fart" like myself). So, when are you writing a manual ? (or a more useful "Index" ) ?
I need your assistance on a few other subjects...
1) Is there someway to turn off (actually "Toggle") the snap-to function for the cursor ? What I have done is to reduce the Grid size, which makes for easier use.
2) Again, I have searched the "Index" but have been unable to find out How to Know what the Autorouter HASN'T routed . I'm sure it is my fault, but I have been unable to learn how or where this information is, other than the very pale, light blue "Ratlines" that appear on the screen (which for people over 70, are really hard to detect !) If it (the Autorouter) would produce a list of non-routed NETS and have a "Localize" function...I for one , would find this very useful and reassuring that I have not missed something.
Again many Thanks to ALL.
Andre