Libraries - common manufacturers - how??

Making your own components and patterns, organizing and using libraries.
JeroenDeBuffel

Libraries - common manufacturers - how??

#1 Post by JeroenDeBuffel » 23 Nov 2017, 06:19

Hi,

I am using diptrace to create some basic PCBs boards. However I want to make some more complex PCBs.
The issues I am running into is that many components (e.g. panasonic, nxp) are not included in the default diptrace libs.

Does anybody have tips on how to deals with this and get more libraries in Diptrace for common manufacturers (I do not want to create all default components myself :-))

Thanks

Tomg
Expert

Re: Libraries - common manufacturers - how??

#2 Post by Tomg » 23 Nov 2017, 09:44

Are you having difficulties locating any Panasonic or NXP components, or are you not finding specific part numbers from those manufacturers in DipTrace? If you only need to find which components from a specific manufacturer are included, use the search filter. The following example illustrates how to search for all included Panasonic components in the Schematic Editor...
2.gif
To refine the search, you can enter a partial or complete part number in the Name field, add more search parameters by clicking on the [ + ] button and/or choose to search only the currently-selected library in the Search Area drop-down list.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tom

JeroenDeBuffel

#3 Post by JeroenDeBuffel » 23 Nov 2017, 12:40

Thanks for thinking along Tom. I am able to find panasonic components, however I cannot find all the components I need in my schema (e.g. I just added the AQY282S myself).
So I was wondering if there is not a possibility to easily import all components for certain manufacturers

Tomg
Expert

#4 Post by Tomg » 23 Nov 2017, 13:26

As far as I know, you will have to add them manually. If a manufacturer offers BSDL files, there is an import tool in the Component Editor (Main Menu: Library > Import > Add BSDL Pinlist...) that will ease some of the pain of creating large ICs. If you see a significant amount of popular components not included in DipTrace's standard libraries, feel free to email them to ask that they be included in the next update. I believe Novarm employs someone who works mainly on adding new components to their standard libraries.
Tom

KevinA

#5 Post by KevinA » 23 Nov 2017, 17:34

The other place to check is the manufactures website for CAD files and Digikey has them sometimes. I found several vendors now providing Ultra Librarian files that work with DipTrace, the AQY282S at the Panasonic website doesn't even exist.

JeroenDeBuffel

#6 Post by JeroenDeBuffel » 24 Nov 2017, 03:40

OK thanks guys. Seems that adding the components yourself is the only way forward in Diptrace and I have to deal with it.
Is that common in similar sw packages?

Tomg
Expert

#7 Post by Tomg » 24 Nov 2017, 06:41

"...Seems that adding the components yourself is the only way forward in Diptrace and I have to deal with it. Is that common in similar sw packages?..."

Yes. Even companies using horribly expensive PCB design software will spend lots of money to create and maintain their own libraries to make sure footprints, schematic symbols and component names/descriptions/parameters are error-free and conform to their own standards. Always remember to back up your custom libraries to an external location (DVD, USB drive, cloud service, etc.) to protect all of your hard work, just in case you happen to experience a catastrophic computer failure later on.
Tom