One schematic divided over two boards?

Making PCB Layouts, Manual routing, Auto-routing, Copper pouring, Updating from Schematic, Manufacturing Output
dieterv

One schematic divided over two boards?

#1 Post by dieterv » 16 Jan 2023, 23:32

Hi,

I've got a schematic that should be laid out on two separate boards that will be connected through a flat cable.
I'd like to have both boards in one schematic as to keep pinouts/nets the same on both boards.

Is there at "good" or "diptrace-correct" way to do this?

I found one forum post from 2010 that refers to a Youtube video on panelization but I suspect that that might be outdated and I don't really see how panelizing is the solution...

Tomg
Expert

Re: One schematic divided over two boards?

#2 Post by Tomg » 17 Jan 2023, 04:22

From what I can tell from your description, if the two boards are identical there is no need to show both on one schematic. The cable should be considered a separate assembly, even if it is permanently soldered onto the PCB(s) during the assembly process. What you have is an instrument sub-assembly consisting of 2 identical boards and one interconnecting cable assembly, all listed as separate items in an instrument parts list. (The two identical PCBs will be listed as one item with a quantity of 2, of course.) In the common schematic, show only one board and label the group of nets that go to whatever kind of interface to which the cable assembly terminates as a common bus possessing a descriptive name.

If the two boards are not identical, they should have their own unique schematics with differing part numbers and descriptions. You will still have an instrument sub-assembly consisting of 2 boards and one interconnecting cable assembly which should be separate items in an instrument parts list.

This all comes out of the failing mind of an old fogey that used to work in the electronics industry a long, long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away. Of course, many things may have changed since those ancient times, but included in all of the required documentation were block diagrams showing how all sub-assemblies were interconnected.

I hope this helps.
Tom

dieterv

#3 Post by dieterv » 17 Jan 2023, 04:53

Hi Tom,

Actually, the two boards are separate. Maybe a bit more info will help.

I have a board with a high-power UV led and some other parts on one end, and a driver plus microcontroller and peripherals on the other end.
To fit into a housing (and since part will be potted to make things waterproof), I want to have two boards:
  • board 1: led, temp sensor, ....
  • board 2: driver, controller, power, ...
I'll have a flatcable between the two boards.

To keep things "in sync", I would prefer to put everything into one schematic so that both share nets, connections on the flatcable, settings,...

So that would give two very different boards, ideally from one schematic. If possible...

dieterv

#4 Post by dieterv » 17 Jan 2023, 04:58

Although (after a couple of times re-reading your comment), I do see your point from a documentation point of view.

As it is though, I do not need to document this for anyone but myself.
I'd see more benefit (feel free to call this laziness) inkeeping everything together and in sync in one schematic compared to having separate "(sub) asssemblies" that can neatly be documented...

Tomg
Expert

#5 Post by Tomg » 17 Jan 2023, 06:09

Well, then, put it all on one schematic showing a dashed line between the two different sections of the board(s). In the PCB layout have it manufactured as one board with a V-score between the two sections so it can be broken in two during the assembly process. Then all you would need to do is attach the cable assembly. Or, if physical constraints/placement allows, feed the top board into the bottom board via a header to eliminate the cable assembly altogether. (No rules, here. Just throwing ideas out there.)

p.s. In the schematic, place two sets of connection pads (components) on either side of the dashed line for each connecting net. They should show up on the PCB for you to move them into the desired positions.
Tom

fluxanode

#6 Post by fluxanode » 17 Jan 2023, 08:12

Tom, how is a dashed line made? I believe this is still a feature request?

Tomg
Expert

#7 Post by Tomg » 17 Jan 2023, 09:30

...how is a dashed line made? I believe this is still a feature request?...
Yep. Still a long-requested feature not yet implemented.

A while back, "Whyrly" suggested a temporary workaround that places a one-line text block of dashes/hyphens ("-" characters) with the desired font/size/spacing/color. When completed it can be repositioned/rotated/edited as required and can even be resized by grabbing one of its handles.
Tom

fluxanode

#8 Post by fluxanode » 18 Jan 2023, 06:47

I tried this and cannot get the line to rotate??

Tomg
Expert

#9 Post by Tomg » 18 Jan 2023, 07:29

After typing in the text using the Place Text tool, confirm the entry by pressing the [Esc] key (the flashing text entry cursor should disappear), exit the Place Text tool by pressing the [Esc] key once more (the cross cursor should disappear), select/highlight the new text box (left-click on it once) and use either the [Space] bar or the "r" hotkey to rotate it in 90-degree increments. Other angles are possible in the PCB Layout editor, but not in the Schematic Editor at this time (DipTrace v4.3.0.3).
Tom