DXF Import Dimension problem

Making PCB Layouts, Manual routing, Auto-routing, Copper pouring, Updating from Schematic, Manufacturing Output
diptracy

DXF Import Dimension problem

#1 Post by diptracy » 10 Jun 2021, 13:46

Hi, I've got a problem with a dxf file which I've imported into Diptrace. The original file is a reference circuit downloaded from NXP's website. As I'll be etching the board at home, I've only needed to import the top pads and the board outline into the pcb layout.

The issue I have is that the dimensions (when converted over) are completely wrong. The original nxp board is 2" x 3" (51mm x 76mm). After importing over, the layout information shows the file is now 2000mm x 3000mm (a very big board :lol: ). It appears the conversion has got confused with imperial and metric format?

I have tried using both mm and inches when doing the import, the problem actually gets even worse if I use inches format, the board is even bigger. :shock:

Now that I have the file imported, is there anyway to resize all the incorrect dimensions back to what they should be? It would be good to know as i want to build a lot of these NXP circuits and would imagine they will all have this issue.
Attachments
dxf import nxp.jpg
dxf import nxp.jpg (251.17 KiB) Viewed 214 times

diptracy

Re: DXF Import Dimension problem

#2 Post by diptracy » 10 Jun 2021, 23:59

Just to add, I'm using version 3.3.1.3

Alex
Technical Support

Re: DXF Import Dimension problem

#3 Post by Alex » 11 Jun 2021, 02:28

Basically, DXF file has no units. If DXF file was saved in inches or millimeters you can import DXF file in DipTrace correctly (just select appropriate units). But if DXF file saved in different units (microns, mils, etc.) then PCB size in DipTrace will be wrong.
You can open DXF file in any mechanical CAD, scale the drawing and save new DXF file. Then you should get correct PCB size in DipTrace.