Vendor complaining about silk over pad

Making PCB Layouts, Manual routing, Auto-routing, Copper pouring, Updating from Schematic, Manufacturing Output
guitardenver

Vendor complaining about silk over pad

#1 Post by guitardenver » 04 Jun 2021, 07:00

I have an issue with my vendor saying that the gerbers I sent in have solder mask over pads. But the DRC checks do not yell at me in Diptrace. I do have the "Check Silk Over Pads" DRC rule enabled and is set to 0 clearance.

Below is an image of the one of the areas they are saying is in violation. This is in Diptrace
DiptraceImage.PNG
DiptraceImage.PNG (24.84 KiB) Viewed 185 times
Below is an image they sent over with their software.
VendroImageC90.PNG
VendroImageC90.PNG (15.81 KiB) Viewed 185 times
It looks like their software includes the solder mask swell as part of the violation region? If the silk is within the solder mask void, they consider it a violation? But Diptrace does not give you an error unless it's on the pad itself. The other option is that there software is interpreting the Diptrace gerbers different and the pads are actually bigger than they should be. Either way, it's a little concerning.

Question:
1. Is this standard in the industry? Or does this definition of "silk over pad" errors vary depending on vendor and PCB layout software?
2. Is there a way in Diptrace to set a DRC for this? So I can automate this error in the future?

Tomg
Expert

Re: Vendor complaining about silk over pad

#2 Post by Tomg » 04 Jun 2021, 07:55

...Is there a way in Diptrace to set a DRC for this? So I can automate this error in the future?...
You may need to do a little calculating, but yes. The related setting can be found in the Design Rules dialog window under the [Options] tab...
s2p.png
s2p.png (18.52 KiB) Viewed 181 times
...Is this standard in the industry? Or does this definition of "silk over pad" errors vary depending on vendor and PCB layout software?...
Here's some reading material on the subject - https://blogs.sw.siemens.com/pcbflow/20 ... vent-them/
Tom

guitardenver

Re: Vendor complaining about silk over pad

#3 Post by guitardenver » 04 Jun 2021, 08:33

Thanks again!

I seen that setting too. Don't know why I didn't put 2 and 2 together to adjust the setting. It's exactly what I was looking for.