2 copper pours in my project

Making PCB Layouts, Manual routing, Auto-routing, Copper pouring, Updating from Schematic, Manufacturing Output
scfaria

2 copper pours in my project

#1 Post by scfaria » 30 May 2021, 10:06

In my small project with 2 layers I did a pour both on the bottom layer and the top layer to save removing the copper. In each layer there are points which are grounds. I think it would be wise to connect the grounds to the bottom pour itself making the entire pour a ground plane. Then I wonder if I should have 2 pours if I connected one pour to ground? Is there a way to connect the pour to the ground other than soldering a wire in the finished product? How can I go back into the project and delete the top pour because I shouldn't have 2 pour layers? Or maybe it's best just to leave the two pours and not connect the top layer to ground, just the bottom layer.
syd
Attachments
TDR-hole-change.PNG
TDR-hole-change.PNG (11.71 KiB) Viewed 454 times

Tomg
Expert

Re: 2 copper pours in my project

#2 Post by Tomg » 31 May 2021, 01:44

...Is there a way to connect the pour to the ground other than soldering a wire in the finished product?...
Yes.
Set the "Current Signal / Plane Layer" to the layer where your copper pour resides, right-click on the edge/border of the copper pour and select "Properties..." in the context menu to bring up the Copper Pour Properties dialog window. In the Copper Pour Properties dialog window left-click on the [Connectivity] tab, select the net to which the copper pour is to be connected using the "Connect to Net:" drop-list and then left-click on "OK"...
cpg.png
cpg.png (15.79 KiB) Viewed 448 times
Don't forget to update the copper pour to complete the connections. After updating the pour any pad belonging to the same net should now be connected to that copper pour.

p.s. Make sure to use thermal reliefs or you may have difficulties soldering to pads connected to the pour. (The copper pour will act like a heatsink.) Thermal relief settings can be found in the Copper Pour Properties dialog window under the same [Connectivity] tab. DipTrace calls them "Thermals". A "Direct Connection" is a connection that has no "Thermals" and is used where no soldering is needed.
Design Area view...
tdc2.png
tdc2.png (13.06 KiB) Viewed 427 times
3D view...
tdc2_3d.png
tdc2_3d.png (13.37 KiB) Viewed 426 times
As a reminder any changes to the copper pour, or any changes to objects within a copper pour, should be followed up with the use of the "Update All Copper Pours" tool.
Tom

Tomg
Expert

#3 Post by Tomg » 31 May 2021, 05:02

...How can I go back into the project and delete the top pour...
Set the "Current Signal / Plane Layer" to the layer where your copper pour resides, right-click on the edge/border of the copper pour and select "Delete" in the context menu...
dcp.png
dcp.png (7.62 KiB) Viewed 425 times
Tom

scfaria

#4 Post by scfaria » 17 Jun 2021, 11:28

"Current Signal / Plane Layer" I can't find this in any of my menus, but when I go to the poured layer I can find the pour property dialog. Unfortunately the connect to net selection does not show a GND, just nets 0 - 9! Going back to the schematic and looking at the GNDs were connected I find that each GND is in it's own, separate net! Since I have the hole on the BC connected to a GND, I chose that one to connect to the pour. Hope that works because I just want to wire the external PS GND to this hole. I would have attached 2 files to make things clearer but the system doesn't seem to allow attachments to replies.
syd/wt1v

Tomg
Expert

#5 Post by Tomg » 17 Jun 2021, 13:55

..."Current Signal / Plane Layer" I can't find this in any of my menus...
Hover your mouse cursor (without clicking) over the drop-list highlighted below to see its name...
cspl.png
cspl.png (2.67 KiB) Viewed 408 times
...Unfortunately the connect to net selection does not show a GND, just nets 0 - 9! Going back to the schematic and looking at the GNDs were connected I find that each GND is in it's own, separate net!...
It sounds like you first need to straighten out your schematic. Hover your mouse cursor (without clicking) over one of the wires that should be connected to ground to see its net name. You should give all nets that are to be connected to ground the same name by right-clicking on each related wire one at a time and choosing the net name at the top of the context menu to bring up the Net Name dialog window. In the Net Name dialog window type in the desired name (e.g. "GND") and click on "OK". Any nets having the same name will be connected together so be sure about your choices. After your schematic is fixed, resave it.

Now open the PCB layout and run the Renew Layout from Schematic (By Components...) tool to bring in the changes from the modified schematic, then update all copper pours and resave your PCB file.
Tom