Top paste not showing in Gerber preview

Making PCB Layouts, Manual routing, Auto-routing, Copper pouring, Updating from Schematic, Manufacturing Output
JoeF

Top paste not showing in Gerber preview

#1 Post by JoeF » 15 Apr 2021, 09:55

Hi. In PCB layout, my top paste layer isn't appearing in the Gerber Preview. Using version 4.1.0.1. PCB layout, File, Export, Gerber, then Preview. All the other layers can be previewed (including bottom paste), but not top paste. In the print preview, all the layers do show up, including the top paste. But not in the Gerber preview, for some reason. Been looking for a solution for about a day, without luck. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

JoeF

Re: Top paste not showing in Gerber preview

#2 Post by JoeF » 16 Apr 2021, 14:36

I think I've found the problem, and would like to share it, if anyone wants to know. Select all the components on the board, right-click a pad on any of the selected components, go to Mask/Paste Settings, Top Paste Mask, change from "common state" to "solder." Then "apply to selected components." Now the top paste layer shows in the Gerber preview. Don't know yet what "common state" or "solder" means, or why the top paste layer couldn't be previewed while in common state, while the others apparently could.

Tomg
Expert

#3 Post by Tomg » 16 Apr 2021, 18:01

Are you working with through-hole components?
Tom

JoeF

#4 Post by JoeF » 16 Apr 2021, 18:35

About 30 surface mount components, one through-hole (a LED), and two plated connection holes for the battery wires.

Tomg
Expert

#5 Post by Tomg » 16 Apr 2021, 19:48

Is the [x]Pads object enabled for the Top Paste layer in the Export Gerber dialog window?
Tom

JoeF

#6 Post by JoeF » 16 Apr 2021, 20:47

No. I enabled it, and that did the job! I wonder why it wasn't enabled to begin with. Anyway, thank you for correctly identifying the problem. The Top Paste is now visible in the Gerber preview.

I appreciate your help!

Sincerely,

Joe