Are plane layers automatically poured?

Making PCB Layouts, Manual routing, Auto-routing, Copper pouring, Updating from Schematic, Manufacturing Output
eporgkjmwagpokew

Are plane layers automatically poured?

#1 Post by eporgkjmwagpokew » 04 Apr 2021, 14:06

Let's say I create a "Signal / Plane" layer, set "Layer Type" to Plane, then "Net" to GND.

Does this mean that the entire layer is automatically flooded and the net is set to GND? I assumed that after doing this, I could see the resulting pour on that layer. However, but I don't see anything that there is actually GND copper there.

Tomg
Expert

Re: Are plane layers automatically poured?

#2 Post by Tomg » 04 Apr 2021, 14:44

It is my understanding that you must create the copper pour yourself. I'm probably totally wrong on this, but that has never stopped me from dispensing "advice" in the past. I believe the Plane layer comes with certain properties such as round vias/pads regardless of their shapes on signal layers, preventing the autorouter from routing traces on it, etc. I prefer to make everything a Signal layer so I don't have to think too hard about stuff like this, otherwise I start getting headaches.
Tom

eporgkjmwagpokew

Re: Are plane layers automatically poured?

#3 Post by eporgkjmwagpokew » 04 Apr 2021, 14:47

Thanks for that answer. I don't use the autorouter so that won't really matter for me. And I completely agree with you that simpler rules = less errors, so I am also going to make it a signal layer.

Also, I didn't have a gerber viewer when I originally made this post. However, since then I did a test, and just marking it as GND doesn't actually create any copper.