Top side Jumper wire - DRC Connection Error

Making PCB Layouts, Manual routing, Auto-routing, Copper pouring, Updating from Schematic, Manufacturing Output
Elliot

Top side Jumper wire - DRC Connection Error

#1 Post by Elliot » 03 Apr 2021, 07:36

Hello,

I'm designing a pretty basic single sided PCB which uses a few jumper wires to complete some of the connections. These jumper wires will obviously be the same as any other through hole component, mounted on the top side and soldered to pads on the bottom. To place these jumpers I manually placed two pads, then linked them together in manual route mode by right clicking and selecting "Top jumper wire" (or pressing J). As I don't need any pads on the top layer I highlighted all components and selected "Hide pad rings in layer".

The problem is that when I run DRC it gives me an error "Connection without pad ring" for all jumper wires when pad rings on the top layer are hidden. I don't understand why though as the jumpers aren't connected to anything on the top layer, they're only connected to pads on the bottom layer.

So can I just ignore these errors?
I've attached a screenshot to help demonstrate the issue.

Many Thanks,
Elliot.
Attachments
Jumper_Wire_DRC_Error.png
Jumper_Wire_DRC_Error.png (153.14 KiB) Viewed 227 times

Tomg
Expert

Re: Top side Jumper wire - DRC Connection Error

#2 Post by Tomg » 10 Apr 2021, 06:22

1) Put all of the pad rings back to normal.
2) In the main menu choose "Route" > "Layer Setup..." to bring up the Layers dialog window.
3) In the Layers dialog window click on the [Signal/Plane] tab, select/highlight the "Top" layer, set its Layer Type to "Plane", set Plated Holes to "Fixed Ring", set Ring: to "0" and click on the [Close] button. This should eliminate all of the Top layer pad rings.
4) In the main menu choose "Verification" > "Design Rules..." to bring up the Design Rules dialog window.
5) In the Design Rules dialog window click on the [Sizes] tab, disable (uncheck) the [ ]All Layers option, select/highlight only the "Top" layer, in the "Minimum" section set Ring Size: to "0" and click on "OK". This should eliminate the jumper wire ring size errors.
jumper.png
jumper.png (4.55 KiB) Viewed 211 times
Tom

Elliot

#3 Post by Elliot » 11 Apr 2021, 12:06

Hi Tomg,
Thanks for the reply.

Your solution does indeed get rid of the DRC errors I was getting, the only problem is that there is still copper on the top layer when I preview it in the gerber file export window. I was wondering if that would cause an issue when I send off the files for manufacture.

A few years ago I had a single layer board manufactured but I can't remember exactly how I did it. I think I probably left all the pads on both layers and simply unchecked the pads option for the top layer on the gerber export window, maybe that would be the simplest way.

Thanks, Elliot.

Tomg
Expert

#4 Post by Tomg » 11 Apr 2021, 14:48

Hi Elliot,
What kind of copper is still on the Top layer? Vias? I posted related questions to the developers in the "Other questions and issues" section (viewtopic.php?f=24&t=13987) showing a test setup with various results. KevinA recommended that DipTrace implement pad stacks, which sounds good to me. I hope they do something about this.
Tom

Elliot

#5 Post by Elliot » 12 Apr 2021, 12:19

Hi Tomg,
Thanks for looking into it. I think the only copper that's left is from the pads but the same size as the hole, due to the pad ring being reduced to 0. I've attached a screenshot of the top gerber file preview if it helps.

Thanks for your help, Elliot.
Attachments
Top_Gerber.png
Top_Gerber.png (13.61 KiB) Viewed 189 times

Tomg
Expert

#6 Post by Tomg » 12 Apr 2021, 15:03

I'm just guessing here, but perhaps that represents the plating inside the hole?
Tom

Alex
Technical Support

#7 Post by Alex » 12 Apr 2021, 20:40

It seems the board is single-layer with bottom layer containing traces only. In fact, you don't need to hide pad rings on top layer. You could keep pads on top layer as they were. Just ignore top layer at all and don't export top layer to gerber format.