Importing/Exporting from Schematic to PCB

Making PCB Layouts, Manual routing, Auto-routing, Copper pouring, Updating from Schematic, Manufacturing Output
OldNortonBoy

Importing/Exporting from Schematic to PCB

#1 Post by OldNortonBoy » 29 Mar 2021, 20:49

Hi All
I asked this question in a different post which I probably shopuldn't have.
I have generated a schematic, (Mainly LED's and resistors).
If then, from Schematic I go to File-Convert to PCB. A blank PCB sheet opens, I select Use Schematic Rules and the components appear.
In this mode ALL of the resistors are in a Horizontal plane ready for placement.

My problem is that I have already created my PCB's previously.
If I now go into the created PCB and select File-Renew Layout from Schematic-By Components, select the schematic file, then the components appear.
Howevewr the resistors are now all vertical, (except 0.1inch). This is a real pain in the butt as I now, when I place each one I have to rotate it 3 times to get it how I want.
There is a runaround for this. If I do as above and create a PCB from schematic, I then copy and paste into my PCB and all is OK.
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Mike

Tomg
Expert

Re: Importing/Exporting from Schematic to PCB

#2 Post by Tomg » 30 Mar 2021, 09:45

After running the "Renew Layout from Schematic" tool, one option to consider is to select/highlight all of the resistors needing rotation (before placing) and hit the [Space] bar three times to rotate all of them at the same time. It won't matter if they end up overlapping other components because you will be using the "Placement by List..." tool. Now when you select a resistor from the list it will have the desired orientation.
Tom

OldNortonBoy

Re: Importing/Exporting from Schematic to PCB

#3 Post by OldNortonBoy » 31 Mar 2021, 04:30

Thanks Tom
Never thought of although it really is so blatantly simple. I must be REALLY getting old.
Thanks again
Mike