How to use DIPTrace to make an irregular shape PCB with exposed copper edge

Making PCB Layouts, Manual routing, Auto-routing, Copper pouring, Updating from Schematic, Manufacturing Output
gearfeng

How to use DIPTrace to make an irregular shape PCB with exposed copper edge

#1 Post by gearfeng » 05 Feb 2021, 22:47

Hi,
I would like to make a PCB like this one. There are edge PTHs on the board.
How to do that in DIPTrace?
wb.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Alex
Technical Support

Re: How to use DIPTrace to make an irregular shape PCB with exposed copper edge

#2 Post by Alex » 08 Feb 2021, 06:20

You can create round board outline and round board cutout inside it. Then add oval TH pads with oval holes on edge of the board. There will be DRC errors but you can ignore them.

hschwenk

#3 Post by hschwenk » 17 Apr 2021, 13:19

round Board.jpg
Hi
I also have the problem and do not know how to create a small round board with oval cut-outs.
Can I get some help ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tomg
Expert

#4 Post by Tomg » 25 Apr 2021, 13:40

The following example uses only DipTrace to create a 29mm diameter circular board with a notch and an oval cutout...

Board Outline
1) Draw any empty (unfilled) Obround shape on the Board Cutout layer, double-click on it to bring up the Shape Properties dialog window, choose the center anchor point, set X: 0, Y: 0, Width: 29mm, Height: 29mm and click on "OK".
2) Right-click on the modified shape and select "Convert to Board Outline" in the context menu, then right-click on what has now become a Board Outline and select "Convert to Shape" in the context menu. This is necessary for the next step.
3) Double-click on what is now a shape again to bring up the Shape Properties dialog window, click on the [Polyline Points...] button, edit the points to create your registration notch at the top and click on "OK" twice.
4) Right-click on the modified shape and select "Convert to Board Outline" in the context menu. The Board Outline is now complete...
bo1.png
Oval Cutout
5) Draw any empty (unfilled) Obround shape on the Board Cutout layer. Don't worry about exact location, dimensions or rotation as this will be taken care of in the following steps.
6) Double-click on the new oval cutout to bring up the Shape Properties dialog window, choose the center anchor point, set the coordinates (X: and Y:) to position the center of the oval at the desired location, set the dimensions (Width: and Height:) to the desired values and click on "OK".
7) Right-click on the modified oval cutout, select "Rotate by Angle" > "Custom..." in the context menu to bring up the Rotation Angle dialog window, enter the desired value and click on "OK". The oval cutout is now complete...
co1.png
8) Repeat steps 5~7 above to create additional cutouts.
Tom

hschwenk

#5 Post by hschwenk » 27 Apr 2021, 18:32

Many thanks for your detailed help. Without this help I had seen no way to design this board .....
now I have so far drawn the board.
Only with the oval cutouts I am not sure whether they are so correct.
I think these are so far only drawings and not yet cutouts.... Or do I understand something wrong?
Heinz Germany

Tomg
Expert

#6 Post by Tomg » 27 Apr 2021, 21:31

It looks like they are on the Top Assembly layer. To convert to a Board Cutout...
1) Right-click (or double-click) on one and select "Properties..." in the context menu to bring up the "Shape Properties" dialog window.
2) In the "Shape Properties" dialog window select "Board Cutout" in the "Type:" drop-list and click on "OK" to convert it to a Board Cutout.
3) Repeat steps 1~2 as needed.

p.s. To quickly find out the layer an object is on, hover the mouse cursor over its edge without clicking.
Tom

hschwenk

#7 Post by hschwenk » 28 Apr 2021, 09:49

Now I understand how I have to do that:
in the properties the option "Board Cutout".... was quite simple ....I don't know why I hadn't seen that.....
Thanks again Heinz