Ratline doesn't want to go

Making PCB Layouts, Manual routing, Auto-routing, Copper pouring, Updating from Schematic, Manufacturing Output
sergii

Ratline doesn't want to go

#1 Post by sergii » 08 Jan 2021, 16:27

I'm very puzzled why DipTrace shows that EP needs a connection to GND in the attached pcb layout.

EP is connected to bottom GND pour via Via at the center of the pad.

Does anyone care to explain what am I missing or is this a bug?

I'm using latest DipTrace version.

Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tomg
Expert

Re: Ratline doesn't want to go

#2 Post by Tomg » 09 Jan 2021, 08:19

Vias will automatically connect to same-net copper pours, but not same-net pads.

The ratline indicates that a deliberate connection is missing even though the Net Connectivity Check passes. This is because the ratline algorithm checks virtual connections (design intent), not the real-world connections (copper touching copper) that are tested by the Net Connectivity Check. In other words, the PCB should work because all of the real-world connections (copper touching copper) are correct.

The via in the center of pad "EP", or U1(17), is connected to GND, but U1(17) has not been deliberately connected to anything. Remember, vias are not automatically connected to same-net pads. Move the via over, run a small connecting trace between it and U1(17) and then move the via back into its original position. If you have trouble selecting the via because it is inside the component's bounding box, invoke the Edit Traces mode.
Tom

sergii

#3 Post by sergii » 09 Jan 2021, 10:15

I see, thanks a lot. Any specific reasons why static via would connect to pour but not to pad?

Tomg
Expert

#4 Post by Tomg » 09 Jan 2021, 10:29

I don't know. You would have to ask the developers why they chose to implement this practice.
Tom