Partial Solder on SMT Pad

Making PCB Layouts, Manual routing, Auto-routing, Copper pouring, Updating from Schematic, Manufacturing Output
shawn-H

Partial Solder on SMT Pad

#1 Post by shawn-H » 14 Oct 2020, 13:21

Hello,

I am ordering some SMT LEDs and according to the data sheet it looks as if a portion of the pad has been removed from the Top Solder Mask. You can find the data sheet here: https://www.kingbrightusa.com/images/ca ... GKQBKS.pdf

This is done for heat dissipation purposes. I know I can remove solder from a pad, I thought I could superimpose a secondary pad onto this unsoldered pad, but DipTrace will throw me an error during the verification check. Is there another way to do this ? I'm not sure how to exclude a portion of a pad from solder.

Thanks - any help is greatly appreciated !

Serg
Technical Support

Re: Partial Solder on SMT Pad

#2 Post by Serg » 15 Oct 2020, 08:03

shawn-H wrote:
14 Oct 2020, 13:21
I thought I could superimpose a secondary pad onto this unsoldered pad, but DipTrace will throw me an error during the verification check.
You can specify the same name for two pads to avoid an error.

shawn-H

Re: Partial Solder on SMT Pad

#3 Post by shawn-H » 15 Oct 2020, 14:26

Thank you
Serg wrote:You can specify the same name for two pads to avoid an error.
this seems to have worked ! On the part pattern it threw me a warning for naming multiple pads the same number. But after disabling top solder mask in the mask/paste options on the PCB pattern, the gerber file seems to show only the smaller pad now.

Appreciate the help a lot!

Best Regards,

Shawn