DRC runs after every connection although disabled (3.x)

Making PCB Layouts, Manual routing, Auto-routing, Copper pouring, Updating from Schematic, Manufacturing Output
unshaven

DRC runs after every connection although disabled (3.x)

#1 Post by unshaven » 12 Oct 2020, 18:39

After seeing that there are libraries separately downloadable, updated 2020, for 3.x versions, I downloaded them and copied them over the ones installed on my system (Windows 7 32bit), which was one of the earlier 3.x versions.
DipTrace then told me the libraries are in a too new format.

So I went and downloaded the last 3.x version available. At first concerned it had "free" in the name, as I remember the full verisons usually come as trial. But it seems to recognize my standard license after installing it over the botched install.

Now I wanted to continue the almost done layout.
But after every click I make, routing between 2 pads, a DRC window pops up and has me stare ~ 5 seconds at a progress bar.
This was not the case before this new install. Of a minor version upgrade.

I have no time to be impaired for several seconds after every click, nor will I buy a new computer for this - it worked fine a few minutes ago.
The program is all but unusable now.

How can this be fixed?

(real-time DRC is OFF, in the Design Rules / Options, btw. Never checked how this looks and whether what I am seeing now is that, or something else)

Alex
Technical Support

Re: DRC runs after every connection although disabled (3.x)

#2 Post by Alex » 13 Oct 2020, 09:26

Please open "Verification -> Design Rules" and make sure real-time DRC is not enabled. If it is disabled please close all DipTrace apps, find default.reg file in DipTrace folder and run it. That will reset DipTrace settings in Windows registry to default. I hope that will help.

unshaven

#3 Post by unshaven » 13 Oct 2020, 15:36

Thanks.
Didn't help at first, but there's a new bar on the left that pops up when routing is started (luckily fully collapsible by Ctrl+1), and thre is a checkbox "show errors", I disabled that and now at least the DRC progress bar thing does not pop up.

But is there a way to get "how stuff looks" back to earlier 3.x versions?
All sorts of stuff is blinking and flashing now when I go over with the mouse over stuff while routing, which is probably intended to be helpful - I find it nothing but distracting, it does not help orientation, it makes it worse. The worse visible current line segment of routing because it's now a gray dotted line is also not helping... and there just should't be a visual difference between where the manual router "thinks" would be a "good" point to end the next line segment (e.g. docking) vs. where it doesn't (showing a dotted line or a regular trace). A highlighted hovered-over existing trace was just fine as an indicator you are connecting to something - adding more indicators is just distracting noise...
Also the manual router doesn't always obey when I set the next waypoint - sometimes it then really ends a new segment there, sometimes it doesn't and if I then move the mouse elsewhere I see that I need to go back there and click again - need to tell the router that yes, I *really* want a point there! ...

Unfortunately I don't have the older version's installer anymore and don't remember what exact version that was. This was not a good update, for me personally anyway.

Serg
Technical Support

#4 Post by Serg » 15 Oct 2020, 08:11

There are no way to return to old routing style.
The older version installers are here:
https://diptrace.com/download/older-versions/

unshaven

#5 Post by unshaven » 15 Oct 2020, 15:58

Thanks, I'll try that.
Sorry if I seemed a bit too annoyed. I did not expect to get my workflow disrupted by a minor update - just wanted to check whether more of my needed parts are in the updated library - and then that! ;)